frustrated01
I would like to know if it is possible for someone to survive a stage III brain stem astrosytoma, non-operable, although responsive to treatment with chemo and radiation. What I mean by surviving is more than 5 years without the tumor coming back.
I think you are talking about Anaplastic astrocytoma (WHO Grade-III).
These tumors have a tendency to infiltrate through neighboring tissue.
The prognosis (Long term cure and 5-year survival rate) remains poor for high-grade astrocytomas in spite of the addition of radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
Neurologic morbidity, such as neurocognitive impairment, neuroendocrinologic deficiency, motor and coordination impairment, and cranial nerve dysfunction may occur from tumor invasion, surgical resection, and/or treatment with radiation and chemotherapy

She has survived all this already, I just keep hoping for a different answer. She got a tatoo last week of the brain cancer survivors ribbon and hope written under it. She has been doing pretty well for the last 9 months.
Nice to hear that she is under Brain Cancer Survivors group.
Good to know that she is doing pretty well.
I hope and pray for the best of your daughter.
Keep me informed about her clinical condition.
The only real problem she will admit to right now is that she throws up every morning and refuses to take decadron because she gained too much weight. She decided to get her figure back and enjoy being a teenager and I have decided to give up nagging and let her live life!