Neurology Community
full body "jerks" while falling asleep and leg pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

When drifting into sleep, I have full body electric-like jerks/twitches that make me jump up, over and over, night after night, and constant leg aches/pain when laying down. My doctor said the "jerks" are normal, but they are driving me nuts trying to get to sleep every night. This has been going on for about 2 months and seems to be getting worse. The night time leg pain, I have had for years.....my doctor says I need more exercise. I am 54 years old and have been on effexor for 2 years.  It doesn't appear to be RLS, any ideas?
I too am going through the same thing. and I have no idea, ive been looking for answers myself. Is this stress related? uum, plus I have weird face twitches as well. I'm over weight, Ive been doing more during the day as in physical work, Ive been taking Ibuprophen. I pray read scriptures.lol... I'm on symbolta 60 Mg (where depression doesnt hurt..lol), have you seen that commercial? It's 4am CST here in Dallas, Tx. My body is starting to hurt from lack of sleep, my arms,hips, legs, etc.... I'm getting my nights and days mixed up, ive been unemployeed since March of this yr. and I'm on the ext. for unemployment and I have 2 more semi-monthly payments left and my unempl. is exhausted and I pray that a president ok's a another ext. soon. So, I'm guessing My is from stress and lack of sleep due to the stress "vicious circle". I-yi-yi
Hi.

The symptoms which you are describing correlate with a condition known as a hypnic or hypnagogic jerk. It is an involuntary muscle twitch occurring during sleep. The patients usually describe it as an electric shock or a falling sensation while on bed.

The occurrence is reported by most people, especially when exhausted or sleeping uncomfortably. Researchers consider it a part of the natural sleeping process just like reduced rate of breathing and a reduced heart rate but the exact cause is still unknown.  One hypothesis states that the muscles tend to relax for rest while the brain remains awake, leading to a “misinterpretation” of falling or loss of balance.

A substantial number of people who have Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) also have periodic limb movements of sleep (PLMS), both of which lead to disturbed sleep. You should visit a neurologist or a sleep specialist stating your history and medication details. A thorough examination, sleep study and appropriate medication will surely provide you relief from symptoms, leading to sound sleep.

Regards.