Neurology Community
gait disorder

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

gait disorder

I have had a gait disorder for two and a half years now, the neurologists cant find out what is wrong, I initially had an emg with results of myopathy, the neuros now want to say it is a conversion disorder, I am sure it is not and my right side is worse than my left and my walking unfortunately is getting worse, when I walk my feet slap on the groung, my right foot drags, and my thigh muscles are turning in, any ideas?
No idea whatever, other than that there would appear to be a great many sub clinical and benign neurological differences that the neuro's do not really care about.

I have been to a number of neuros, and none has remarked on anything unusual in my gait, however two swimming instructors have noticed my in turning knee, something that also appears on photographs going back to childhood, yet no Dr has ever remarked on this.

Also anyone I have ever walked beside can tell my gait is off cos I wander from side to side, (and always have) just makes makes me wonder sometimes what the professionals do see.

I also recall sitting next to someone who remarked to me "did you know one of your legs is longer than the other" Yes I did know that, and that it was the same for my dad, but I would just like an acknowlegment from a professional once in a while, even if it is of no more consequence to them than the colour of my eyes.
Another thought, maybe the neuro is the wrong specialist, an orthopedist might be better, for instance my orthopedic specialist acknowleged things that none of the neuros did
Dear Capital thank you for your replies, I suppose really my gait is quite marked as I use crutches outside and cant get very far outside without them.  I think my problem probably is neurological as my legs wont do what I tell them, my right foot drags, my feet stick to the floor and and my thighs cross over, but your probably quite right about the orthopedist on the other hand.  Thank you once again for your reply.
I am only a lay person but based on personal experience a problem in both legs could be occuring anywhere within the spine, most likely the lower back if it is an orthopedic problem. Like a lot of others who find there way to these forums I have been worried about varios problems of weakness, percieved weakness, pain and twitching. The neurologists found me in the clear for progressive diseases, that is not to say the findings are completely normal but they are consistent with in my case bilateral ulnar neuropathy,  bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome and sciatica. I walk with a stick because my feeling in my left foot can be quite diminished at times affecting my balance, and also my right knee, (the one that so obviosly turns in to anyone who actually cares to watch me walk and move in real life rather than a neuro who just does a quick up and down the hall, can sometimes get painful or just give way, presumably because of all the ill use it is put to being bent inwards over a period of fifty something years without anyone having bothered to investigate. When the archeologists of the future dig up my skeleton, they will be able to measure and look at the bones and make suppositions about me as you see them doing on these meet the ancestors programmes.

I am left with a profound dissatisfaction with neurologists.
I must admit Capital I am starting to get a bit fed up with neurologists, I have not heard of bilateral ulnar neuropathy, do they give you treatment for that or is it a case of just get on with it, will they at some stage do something with your knee?
Ulnar neuropathy is similar to carpal tunnel syndrome except that the nerves are trapped at the elbow, I have had operations on both elbows, with more success on one side than the other.