Neurology Community
gliosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

gliosis

What is the treatment for the gliosis.  I have a 3 mm white mass that they
told me is a gliosis.  Is it something I should be worrying about as far as
life span.  This mass was discovered from an MRI but not with contrast.
I am just wondering if it is a surgical procedure or medication treatment
Hello.

Gliosis is a healing of the dead nerve cells by growth of connective tissue cells in the brain. In other part of the body this healing takes place by fibrosis. In the brain, it is called gliosis. Glial cells are the connective tissue cells in the brain. Hence the term "gliosis".

Once the cells are dead, there is nothing you can do to recover the part. Gliosis can not be reversed.

There is usually no need to do anything about the gliosis. But if the area of gliosis is acting as a seizure focus, it can be removed surgically. Do you have any seizures or any other neurological deficit as a result of the gliosis?

Regards
Avatar n tn
I have no seizures but I do have headaches alot.  I also have mastoiditis which
I am having surgery for sometime soon.  Is there possibility that the gliosis may
grow or will it just stay the same. I have no idea why I have this gliosis because
as far as I know I have never had any brain trauma.  Thank you for the info.
        Vonnie
Vonnie - I know someone who has the same thing and same size.  in the right anterior aspect of the brain (not full description, but it is very deep in the brain).  He is also a smoker and drinks.  Through  my research I see that gliosis can be caused also from artherosclerosis and chronic alcoholism.  My friend is a drinker and has been drinking heavier lately.  I'm not accusing but just curious if you are a smoker too or do drink or did drink heavily at any stage in your life.  Your answer may help me to speak with him further about what changes he needs to make in his life.  
I am 56 years old, One Neurologist says I have the part of the brain that has to do with balance effected due to heavy drinking in the past and the other Neurolgist says I have Extensive CNS Gliosis. But I did not tell him about my heavy drinking in the past. I cant hardly walk, I have no balance, I am doing balance exersise,  What else should I do? If anything. I have done some smoking too.