Neurology Community
groin and inner thigh numbness, tingling.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello. I am a 19 year old male: 5'10", 135 lbs., in adequate shape; occasional smoker, less frequent drinker. For the past year I have had numbness, sensations of cold, and tingling, in the right half of my right foot, to varying degrees of extremity; the same feelings intermittently on the right side of my right hand; and even less frequently, some tingling in my right arm and both right and left thighs.

A week ago I noticed that the area from the right side of my perineum, extending back into my buttocks, up into the base of my testicles, and to the right down my thigh to my calves, has lost the majority of its sensation. I have had no urinary problems (incontinence or otherwise), no sexual problems (impotence), and until recently, no weakness in the muscles. I now have weakness in my muscles. My left leg, as well, has similar, but hardly noticeable, symptoms. These have had no physical affect on me, with the exception of some increased trouble walking on my right leg.

I went to the emergency room after the sudden onset, and the doctor ran several tests, while provisionally ruling out spinal tumors or lesions, disk injuries, blood clots, and diabetes. He indicated this could be related to a deep muscle tremor irritating my sciatic nerve, but was troubled by the numbness occurring elsewhere in my body. I was then referred to physiatry where, evidently, they will stick needles in my leg and run electricity through them. For what purpose I can only guess!

My question: If the diagnosis is similar to the one indicated above, has this area of my body experienced any irreparable damage? Could this area be damaged within a months time due to this nerve irritation? Can I suffer /tissue damage/ from nerve damage, e.g., like cutting off blood supply or sleeping on your arm? All in all, summarized as, due to this numbness, is there any possibility that between now and a cure, I could become permanently deprived of sensation or impotent should the numbness spread further?
Avatar n tn
/Bump/...Irreparable damage or no?