Neurology Expert Forum
hand and wrist numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hand and wrist numbness

I am 72 years old and still working a 70 hour week (active).
For the last 6 months I am having numbness in both hands. The pain during the night makes me wake up with the feeling that the blanket is very heavy. I no longer have the strength  to lower the handbrake of my car and a general weakness is starting to take over the upper body. I generaly have a very weak grip in the hands. Sometimes I have the feeling that my hands are cold when they're not. Last week I had a swollen hand.
The problem is advancing very quickly. Could this be a neurological problem and if so who do I need to see to get help ?

Many Thanks,

Christopher
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit withyour doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Sir, with the weakness and numbness in both arms, I would be very concerned about a problem in the neck. You should see a neurologist, so that you can have a full neurological exam and possibly a MRI of your upper spinal cord to make sure that there is no compression of the nerves or the spinal cord. Most of the times the compression is due to age related or arthritic changes in the discs which lie between the vertebra.

Less serious causes include carpal tunnel syndrome, in which the Median nerve is compressed at the wrist. This usually results in numbness in the first 3 and a half fingers, with pain and weakness. But it seems that more then just your hands are involved, which is why I am concerned about a problem higher up.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!