Neurology Community
hard lump in lower back

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hard lump in lower back

hi for the past 7 weeks now ive had daily mild headaches that have not increased in intensity.. my mother said it was all anxiety keeping the headache alive.. and she was probably correct.. mother knows best.. in the 3rd week i still kept myself awake at night thinking and worrying about it.. and it took its toll and the next day in college i felt very faint and nausea.. i went to the emergency room and the triage nurse said it was all anxiety.. however the doctor did full blood work, an x-ray of my chest and a urine sample.. he found nothing except a small UTI and i was given 3 days of strong antibiotics .. for those 3 days i felt worry free and the headaches did go.. but came back after the 3 days and continued.. after 6 weeks of no other symptoms i was willing to believe it was nothing serious .. but still had the anxiety.. 3 days ago i felt a twinge  just slightly above my waist line in my right lower back.. there is a hard .. non movable lump under my skin seems to be attached to underlying tissue or muscle.. the lump itself does hurt to the touch and i feel a general discomfort in my lower back if im standing too long.. my mother felt the lump and she said its a tension knot or pulled muscle .. i am so worried about it being cancer. im 21 male and in good health .. but i havent felt myself in weeks.. im so worried.. can this all be just anxiety? please help.. i need to ease my mind somehow.. the lump is there.. has not grown in 3 days and im just so worried because i heard that most cancer lumps are painful, hard and not movable under the skin.. i am not feeling fatigue or anything.. infact a good walk helps but this lower back discomfort and mild pain is annoying and i cant stop worrying.. my mother has had it  with me .. remember all blood works were done less than a month ago and all were normal. ..

It will help us to know how big the lump is. As of now it does not seem to be cancerous. There are many possibilities which need to be looked into like lipoma, cyst or an enlarged lymph node.
It could also be an inflamed muscle. I would suggest you to get a clinical evaluation done by your physician. Also do some deep breathing exercises everyday to keep yourself relaxed.

Good luck!
Hi Dr,

Thanks for your reply.. some more details:

the lump is about half an inch in diameter but is not completely round.. it is slightly longer horizontally and seems to gradually go down into whatever tissue it is attatched to .. or part of.... further.. i seem to have the same lump on the exact opposite side however that is not painful nor is it anywhere near as big.. it actually feels normal. i could find no correlation between headaches and cancer.. except brain cancer .. so is it safe to assume that they are not connected.. and also.. about a week ago i tried to lift something very heavy and failed .. could this be a delayed muscle inflamation (inflammation) due to trying to lift something? i really appreciate your comments Dr Noopur
I have a hard nonmovable lump lower right back swellng aswell what you think it is its been there a long time I'm pale looking but not lost weight or my appetete