Neurology Community
head/scalp pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

head/scalp pain

I have been having some scalp pain on the right side of my head above my ear and down the back of my head.  The pain is not major but is pretty constant and my scalp hurts to the touch.  It feels like someone has pulled my hair very hard.

Does anyone know what would be the cause.
YIKES, do you have any bumps yet? I had shingles when my husband was deployed because of stress........and I know its aweful. I went to ER 3 times till they finally figured it out....then they pulled me from waiting room for fear of infecting pregnant women and child.  Shingles is horribly painful. Like someone is pulling every single piece of hair individually. If you get to the doctor soon they now have meds to make the syptoms (symptoms)  end sooner........
I have burning and tingling sensations and lots of headches.
Hi there. I have Giant Cell or Temporal Arteritis.Recently diagnoised. One of the main symptoms is a very sensitive scalp. The wind blowing hurt me. Also sore eyes and new, bad headache. If you have any of these symptoms I would make an app with your dr as soon as you can. The worst part of this illness you can losse your sight permenetly. But dont worry too much. They start you on steroids even before testing to be safe. Best of luck! cath 278.
I have been having some scalp pain on the left and right side of my head.  The pain is not too bad but is very constant and my scalp hurts to the touch.  I feel like someone has pulled my hair one by one.
Hi Jason,

Parts of my scalp became extremely sensitive (again) about 2 days ago and it must be neurological. Last time this happened I thought it might be because of shampoo but now I am 100% sure it has to do with stress. Not sure how is your daily life but in my case I can easily imagine stress to create this condition.

Today even the wind blowing in the underground hurt my scalp. Last time I had this I was seriously ill with high fever and an acute tonsillitis so it seems to occur along with some other physiological conditions. I have now an ear infection and I first thought the scalp sensitivity is just one of its symptoms.

Gonna try to rest and hope it disappears as last time.

All the best,

Tuomas
14 days in with shingles of the scalp, face and eye.  the sharp stinging pain in the head lasted for about five days before blisters brokeout. dr. said shingles and took a swab. gave me a shot of corticosteroids, a prescription for 6 days of prednisone and sent me home.  i had to call back after having visited the emergency rooms twice to find out if her test showed shingles.  she gave me no information, not even a pamphlet.  i was left to fend on my own.
emergency room dr was superb.  he diagnosed shingles and explained what they were. he checked my eyes since the blisters were on my eyes.  he did not tell me that it would get worst. gave me famciclovir and oxycodone.hence, the second trip to the emergency room. finally, i forced the dr to call me with the test results.
the absolute best information was given to me by the opthalmologist who checked my eyes.  he was cool, calm and very informative.  he told me everything i needed to know about shingles.  
i am now having the same sharp pains in my head that i had prior to the shingles outbreak.  i can only conclude that it is pnh.