Neurology Community
headache for a week

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

headache for a week

I have suffered from headaches for over a year now they come and go but before the headache was different it was all over, i used to think it was dehydration. i took an MIR and nothing was wrong that was a month ago. for five days now i have been having a constant headache on the left side of my head with the source on the right top of my head and spreading to my eye and neck it comes and goes and increases when i bend my head. or blow my nose or cough, i have a stuffy nose almost always. what should i worry about? or what test should i take to make it go away?
Generally, one sided headache & orbital pain (eye pain) radiating to neck symptoms could be suggestive of migraine. On the other hand, there are patients who experience similar pain with sinusitis (sinus with infected mucus). The mainstay of the migraine treatment is always to identify the triggering factors and to avoid them. Triggering factors could be different foods such as cheese, chocolate, alcohol and even few fruits. Other factors that may induce your migraine attack may be contraceptive pills, stress or depression, bright lights, loud noise and traveling. Few women experience headache more commonly during the time of their menstrual periods & at the time of hormonal imbalance. I would suggest careful record of events that have proceeded with the attack and avoid those factors. In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet and avoid taking unnecessary drugs. Even then if you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your migraine attacks and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!