Neurology Community
headache when blowing nose , yelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

headache when blowing nose , yelling

I get extreme headaches (not all the time) after blowing nose, yelling, etc. It It is in the base of my head above my neck. The pain stops me in my tracks, and I have to hold the back of my head. I cannot move or talk as the pain is so bad. It lasts less than a minute, but the spells are happening more often. I get migranes (migraines), but this is nothing like that. MRI showed nothing abnormal except for the migranes (migraines).
  • SINUSITIS OR WHAT (1 replies):
    Hi All, Almost 6 weeks back i had a headache with cons...[more]
  • pain (1 replies):
    i had a headache .it started after a severe cold.it was ...[more]
  • Blocked sinus (1 replies):
    I've had sinus problems for a while, probably something ...[more]
  • pressure (1 replies):
    i have been having pressure in my head for about 4 month...[more]
  • Head pains (2 replies):
    Could you tell me please why sinus head pains are worse ...[more]
Hi.

Your symptoms seem to suggest a cardiovascular condition, probably transient increase in blood pressure due to blowing your nose or yelling, as a possible cause of your symptoms. Other causes that could also be related, but are less likely to be the cause are increased sinus pressure and tension headache.

You should have you blood pressure checked and you cardiovascular status monitored by your doctor to rule out any serious condition.

Hope this helps.
I feel like there is a collection of dust in my throat. I cough hysterically and each time I do, my upper stomach tightens and hurts. I find myself blowing my nose a lot. It feels like there is a lot of mucous up in there but when I blow onto a tissue, there is hardly anything there. Also, my mucous started flowing thin on its own. Now that my fever had vanished, the mucous has darkened a bit.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely possibility in your case could be a sinusitis pain that originates after mucus block/infection of sinuses and appears as a bad headache when you sneeze. This can be resolved after draining mucus from blocked sinuses & with antibiotics. Another possibility could be a persistent migraine and aggravation of the symptoms by sinusitis pain. Since you are suffering from this pain from a longer time, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away. Hope this helps. Take Care & Regards.
I have been having headaches for a year now back an forth to docs and hospitals.its now gone down to around a monthly basis but after an argument with my daughter and as I was shouting I got a screaming pain in the same place as normal(left side of my head) very draining and worrying.finally giving me an mri scan on chrostmas eve of all days!
I get bad pain when blowing my nose,the pain is at the base of my skull