Neurology Expert Forum
headache when i go to bed?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

headache when i go to bed?

hi im a 39 years old male i get this headche about half hour after ive gone to bed the pain starts at the right side of my head ive seen my gp but not seem to be doing anything about it ive had a mri scan and my sinuses were blocked
(so the gp said)had a operation for the but still havent cured the problem.Ive had these headaches for about 3 years now and its started to tick me of abit the headache seems to go away or feel little bit comfortable when i get a hot water bottle and rest my head on that.I dont really wanna be doing that for the rest of my life.I i also feel my gum throbing with it (right side)Is there anyone out there can help me or if anyone had similar headaches and now its gone .
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.
Without the ability to examine you and obtain a detailed history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your headaches is or how to treat it. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.
Headache is a common symptom, and can be produced by multiple causes, or have no underlying problem. The first important thing is to make sure there is no underlying cause, and the history, characteristics of the headache, and physical as well a neurologic exam helps. If there is something suggesting an underlying cause, studies may be needed, such as a CT scan or MRI of the brain. However this is not always needed.
I am not sure if the MRI that you talk about is a brain MRI of is just focusing in the sinuses.
Sometimes sinus disease can produce headaches, however many times the images may show sinus problems and it is not specifically the case of the headaches.
If the headache has features of a headache without underlying cause, there are specific treatments that can help.
For example, the typical description of a migraine is a unilateral headache, pounding, lasts for few hours up to 72 hours, usually severe and the patient stops doing what they were doing at the moment. Light and noise bothers, and patients may complain of nausea and vomiting. If the headache is infrequent, treatment is for the attacks, however if the headaches are frequent, the patient may need preventive treatment, and there are specific medications for this, as well as for the attacks.
There are other types of headaches, like cluster headache, which is usually unilateral, behind the eye, with lacrimation and “runny nose”. In this case, oxygen helps, and there is specific treatment as well.
Other type of headache called hemicrania continua or paroxysmal hemicrania. This type may be either an intermittent or continuous headache, with a dull and a sharp component, and usually on one side. This type of headache responds to a medication called indometacin.
The descriptions that you give are not specific, and more detailed history about all the characteristics of the headache are required in order to make a specific diagnosis. As I said, CT or MRI of the brain sometimes is required, and the decision to do this should be taken based on the history and the neurologic exam.
I think before you start trying other medications, you should see a physician in order to determine what is the cause of your headache, and what specific syndrome it correlates with if there is any. If your primary physician does not have any further recommendations, you should maybe see a neurologist. As I said, without being able to obtain a good history and a physical and neurologic examination, I cannot tell you what the cause of your headaches is.
I think it is important for you  to have an evaluation by a neurologist, who can help you to determine if more tests are needed, if there is an underlying cause, and what specific treatment is better.
I hope this information is useful.