Neurology Community
headaches after brain tumor surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

headaches after brain tumor surgery

Its been six months since my surgery and i still get awful headachs 24/7 (some worse than others). I have been off all pain meds but Tylenol just doesnt work and have to use too much and everyday (dont want to damage my liver). I am still confused at times and dizzy. My last MRI in of Sept. showed that my head was still swollen. Shouldnt I be treated for the swelling not for a headache? Should I be on steroids or something to relieve pressure? How do I know if i have a CFS leak?
Sorry to hear about your continued problems. I did not have a brain tumor but Chiari 1 malformation with an 11cm herniation into my spine. I had surgery on 12/1/08 and have had severe Ha's since, along with neck pain, vision and hearing loss and dizziness. I have never experienced pain such as this. I made my NS aware of this and he stated this was normal after this surgery and it should stop or ease up, it didn't and 3 weeks post op I called him again because  the pain was so severe I thought I was having a stroke. I was sent for an immediate CAT scan which showed I had swelling on my brain and a little more blood than was expected after surgery. With this, night sweats and fever I was also Dx with possible Aseptic Meningitis. My NS immediately placed me on Steriods to relieve the swelling and Abx. to fix the Meningitis and more pain meds. I have to say I am feeling slightly better already after the steriods, 8 pills so far in less than 24 hours. They have started to relieve the swelling and that makes a huge difference. I have never written on a board like this but felt compelled to do so after reading your post. No one should suffer like you are so push the issue with the doctor especially since there is confirmed swelling.  If he dosen't want to do anything, get a second opinion. No treatment could lead to more problems. I am not saying it will but you shouldn't take any chances. Even if it turns out to be nothing , you will have peace of mind. Stress and anxiety can lead to worse Ha's .Also, CSF leak was my first thought also but my NS didn't see that as being the problem with me, the MRI should have shown if this was happening to you.  Stay strong and you are in my prayers.