Neurology Community
hearing repeat sounds/songs in my head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hearing repeat sounds/songs in my head

I keep hearing repeat songs in my head...I do not hear voices only songs.  I suffer from extreme anxiety and depression am on Lorazepam and several homeopathic remedies.  I was put on several anti depressants for a period of one year with severe side effects.  I am now hyper sensitive to medications.
I have heard of auditory hallucinations - it could be that.  I also recall reading about something that had to do with auditory memory, that it can be normal to hear songs repeatedy - as it's your brain just remembering a song over and over.  I would get checked out by my doc, then letting a psychiatrist know of your symptoms.
lagn:
Auditory hallucinations
Anxiety and depression
Hypersensitive to medications

These are symptoms that some Lyme Disease patients have.
Lyme causes neurological and psychological problems.

Examples from the medical literature:

Symptoms: Hallucinations
When I read your post I thought of the phenomenon of "getting songs/melodies stuck in your head," and not of auditory hallucinations.  It's common and periodically happens to me - has all my life.  It also often the stupidist songs.   Sometimes it's a good song, but it's still annoying.  (My most common is the chorus from "American Pie")  I have actually had an auditory hallucination once when in an altered mental state from doing biofeedback using brainwave training and it was very different from the song thing.  Anyway, in me the songs always disappear eventually and I'm not the worse for it.  They usually disappear when I become engrossed in something else.  I've often heard other people talk about it and it is annoying, but harmless.

If you actually think you are hearing the songs and not just having the melody/song coming to mind, then you should have it checked out.  Quix
I just googled "songs in your head" .  The first couple articles were on the very thing that I was trying to describe.  One article from a university reseacher said that 90% of people report this occurring at least once and for some people it is very common.  The articles were entertaining and might fit what you are reporting.
Thank you for the information.  I unfortunately have this constantly...only when I am watching tv or involved in something that occupys my mind does it seem to go away.  This is very disheartening and wearing...if only I could get some relief with something natural.
But, did you mean an auditory hallucination, or the songs "running through your mind" without actually hearing them.

Did you get a chance to read the article about lyme and the brain.
Lyme Disease: A Neuropsychiatric Illness
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/romarkaraoke/lymeart.html

There are a number of "natural" things you can do to help your condition.
One is to supplement magnesium, which will help the enzyme processes within the cells.
Another is Omega 3's.  A pharmaceutical quality fish oil will improve the quality of cell membranes.  The red blood cells need to be flexible enough to squeeze through the capillaries, so that the cells get enough oxygen to make energy.
Brain cells use alot of energy.

Both magnesium and fish oil reduce inflammation, which is common in chronic health problems.
When the capillaries are inflamed, they swell slightly, and there is less room for the red cells to travel through.

References:
Google magnesium and depression for many articles.
Google "fish oil" and depression.  

Best,
Carol
If you are considering magnesium supplementation - which is beneficial in many conditions - look for a magnesium salt that is well absorbed.  Magnesium oxide is by far the most common one in supplements and is the least bioavailable, meaning the body gets the least benefit from it.  (It's used because it is very cheap!)

The nutritionists that I respect all recommend one of the following salts instead of Mag oxide:

Magnesium orotate
magnesium taurate
magnesium arginate
magnesium glycinate

I usually buy mine online, because I can never find the orotate (my preferred) in stores.

Quix
This is the magnesium I purchased:

Source Naturals, Ultra-Mag
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate, taurinate, glycinate, and succinate)

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=SNS-00803

Because of my health problems, it is far easier for me to buy online, than to drive to several different stores, looking for what I need.

Carol
Thanks so very much for the infomation.
I have read the Lyme info and find it very interesting...many of my symptoms appear to be similiar to those of Lyme disease.  I wonder how I would get it?
Does anyone know if a spinal tap is the only way to diagnose the disease?
I do take a good form of mag. and fish oil...no relief though.  I take lots of supplements.
I really appreciate all the concern and help.
lagn:
For information on methods of transmission and locating a doctor who will test you for tick borne diseases, visit LymeNet.org.
See the information on the 'newbie help links' on the medical forum.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029917

A spinal tap is not considered a good way to test for Lyme, as the bacteria reside mostly in the muscles, organs, and nerves.

The experienced people at LymeNet are very helpful to newbies who need information.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Best,
Carol

I too have had this problem for about a year and a half.  It practically drives me insane.  I don't actually hear the music but any song I hear will play back in my head until I hear or think of a different one.  It's been giving me trouble when trying to sleep lately.  There is no information on the internet about it and it makes me feel better to see I'm not the only one experiencing it.  Have you had any luck with it?
I suffer from bipolar II with hypomania. I am also under quite a bit of stress due to family issues (terminal illnesses of two immediate family members). When I am in a depressed state (as I am now) I hear repetitive rhythmic sounds, especially when I am trying to sleep or am alone. It isn't music or any sounds I'm familiar with just banging sounds in the same rhythm over and over. I suffered from this a few years ago but after several months it went away. My psychiatrist put me on a new medication, although I don't remember what. He really didn't offer any reason for this and I'm not even certain if it was the medication that stopped it. I plan to call him on Monday (it is now Saturday) but I was wondering what the cause of this is. I could really use some advice.
I am fascinated and relieved to come across this information.  My wife, who is a  musician,  and I have had constantly recurring "songs in our head" as long as we can remember (we're in our late fifties).  Periodically just to test and out of curiosity, we will suddenly ask the other, "okay what song is in your head?"  It's usually a surprise to both of us since the music is so constant it's like neural wallpaper.  As I type I've just checked my internal jukebox and "I Only Have Eyes for You, is playing (I heard a Sinatra version last night).  Like one person above mentioned, the only way to get rid of it is to replace it with something else.  If I don't choose, there will be some "default" song.  I'd love to know more on this subject including is it distracting?   Since I  can't remember a time when it didn't occur,  I don't know what life would be like without it.  Also, how common is the "constant" version and is it more common in musicians?  Thanks for the info, fellow inner musicians.
I found this site because I was searching for an answer to my "songs in my head problem." It's always there lately, but went away for a number of years. It first happened to me years ago, I had just gotten stoned and ran into my dad who really yelled at me and fraked me out quite a bit. It started after that and I had never heard of anything like that before. It took maybe two years but it went away. I had problems with other substances before the original incident and after, and afetr it went away too. Then, three months ago the same exact situation happened, and boom, "hear we go again." My doctor says it is neurology and anxiety, and probably I have a scar on my brain from a lot of stimulant use in my past. I live a happy clean life but this thing is distracting. Is time the only answer, like with so many other things. And Lyme disease, are you kidding? Klonopin, neurontin and sometimes Clonodine if there is a lot of stress. Here is a question--- IF ONE WERE TO RESTIMULATE A PART OF THE BRAIN THAT HAD BEEN STIMULATED BEFORE, COULD THAT MAKE THIS STOP. THERE SEEMS TO BE A BIPLOAR CONNECTION DEFINETELY.
Your mind is not at peace, this is why you repeat stuff in your head. Your over stimulated. TV has a lot of overstimulation with the flashes and the noise and the colors, etc... This is why when you watch it it quiets down. What you need to do is calm your mind. I have been practicing meditation for 8 years and its an excellent way to ease your mind. However, it take practice and with time you can quiet down these repetetive thoughts in your mind.

I also suggest prayer which is also a form of meditation, pray so your mind is still and focus on just the prayer. This is a form I believe of cognitive behavioral therapy.
I have had music in my head for six years.  Not only that, but I feel the muscles under my tongue and throat sub-vocalizing the words which leads to great pain in my throat and neck and sometimes I feel like I'm choking!  It's terrible.
I recently have not been able to stop repeating music/lyrics in my head. Whenever I wake up, I'll notice I am still repeating certain songs/lyrics before I even get my first thought in. I have also realized that at the same time that this has happened, I have developed symptoms of OCD. Is it possible that this inability for us to stop repeating music OCD? Because it certainly isn't getting a song stuck in your head, I used to have that and be normal, this is something much more severe. I mean, waking up in the middle of the night and still repeating music? Come on, thats strange...any info much appreciated.
Dear Ash,
I'll just jump in real quick here and give some general thoughts.  I think this post and the other one in this forum suggest that lyme disease, which comes from little deer ticks in wooded areas, can cause this auditory hallucination.  Medications can do this too, some gaba drugs will stimulate the music part of the brain.  This suggests, too, another idea posted that said could be toxic chemicals have somehow gotten in the body.  And I suppose could be something in the brain isn't working right, could be a neurologist could do a brain scan and see if that's the case.

Apparently there's a lot of people that have this, and I have auditory hallucinations from some gaba drugs I take, but it's not constant.  But it suggests that there is a biochemical thing that happens (like lyme disease, medications, toxic chemicals, even something wrong with a particular part of the brain).  I'm just restating what all I've just read here in the two posts, to sort of direct you to where to look for answers.
GG
hi guys i am exactly like ash waking up and a random song i may have heard yesterday or a week ago is replaying chorus over and over has anyone had luck with meds yet?? its been constant for 9 months i suffer anxiety too and unreality everyday like disociative disorder

help??
Dear Stace,
Other than the main serious problems, to reiterate what some others have said it could be you are very tired, too.  People who are anxious and feel that disassociative disorder, sometimes lack of deep sleep or REM sleep will do this.  You should visit a mental health clinic and they should give you tranquilizers or something to help with your sleep, and hopefully your annoying problems will ease up.  They can also get to the bottom of how come you feel anxious and help you control that better.  
GG
This is actually a pretty common occurance and there are a lot of possible causes. Most people that experience it are older and typically losing their hearing. It's also more common in women for some reason. I first heard of this when reading a book by Oliver sacks. He's written on the subject quite a bit, but I strongly recommen his book "Musicophelia" for more information about musical hallucinations or Musical Ear Syndrome and other strange music related maladies. I'm researching the topic and below are several sources that you may find interesting:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Musical-Hallucinations/show/293692

https://nursing.advanceweb.com/Article/Musical-Ear-Syndrome.aspx

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/mes.htm
Im not sure if this is a problem but i hear sequences of notes in my head and if i transform that into accords in my guitar it sounds very good. I dont know if this is a problem or a gift can you help me?
Im having this problem which started two weeks back.I was hearing a song at night and when i went to sleep,that song was repeating in my head.I thought that it will go and with some difficulty i slept.When i woke up, some other song came in my head and was repeating.i got tensed and confused.Sometimes it would go away when i do something withis intresting,then when i finish,it would start again.Usually in morning i dont have this problem  so much ,but when comes to night, it gets worse . This is the second week in which this problem started and its still there.Is there any solution for this problem?, and How is this caused?
plz help me in my problem
I just googled "music in my head" because I wondered if any one else had this annoying problem.  It is so nice to find that I am not the only one.  I don't know how long this has been going on, but I first realized that it was a problem when I went to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat about 5 years ago.  I bought the CD and would listen to it in my car with my kids.  We stopped listening to it after about a month, but the music continued to play in my head all day and night for at least a year after.  One day I was in the shower, and it abruptly stopped.  I recognized the EXACT time it was finally stopped, and I was so relieved to have the quiet.  Unfortunate this quiet did not last long.  The"music in my head" started up again, but like many of you that I read about, the songs change depending on what I hear.  I go to bed with a song in my head, and wake up with it, and hear it through the whole day.  The worst is any Lady Gaga song.  I advise DO NOT, if you can help it, ever listen to Lady Gaga.  I make my kids switch the station.  It can really drive you crazy.  
I do think this condition is getting worse.  I wish it would stop.  I am 50 years old.  It is a big distraction for me.  I have a hard time concentrating on anything.  I have been taking a very small dose of Lexapro (2.5 mg) for about 10 years.  I wonder if that could have something to do with it. I won't stop taking the Lexapro to find out though because if I don't take it, I could end up with worse effects that "hearing music in my mind".

Ann
This is from anxietycentre.com

Thoughts, concepts, mental images, melodies, or songs seemingly get “stuck” in your mind:
No matter what you do, you seemingly can’t stop your mind from thinking of them over and over again. In every undistracted moment you find your mind replaying the unwanted thought, concept, melody, or song.
These thoughts are like a hamster running on a squeaky hamster wheel in the background. No matter what you are doing, that squeaky wheel seems to be always turning.

Many become distraught and worry that their mind is “stuck” in a never-ending loop. Others fear that the loop could get worse and may never end.

This anxiety symptom is often referred to as “unwanted” and “repetitive” thoughts. Some refer to it as “obsessions” or “obsessional thinking.”

Also look up earworms sounds bad but its about music in head.

I have the problem myself usually worse when I wake up, has at times kept me awake all night. I usually put on a song I don't know then it passes away.
Thanks for your advice i have been having these symptoms for ten years now and it has been driving me crazy,even while i type this comment i can still here the music faintly in my mind,my whole body becomes rigid with anxiety,i sleep quite poorly,i am generally quite an anxious person.But since i have joined this forum i realize i am not alone with this problem,so lets hope in time these problems will ease.I have to mention that these problems were triggerd buy a fret to my marriage.
I recently went on a buddhist meditation retreat, for three days, and realized that I constantly hear music in the background, in my head.  It's usually jazz, sometimes sufi music, rarely anything with lyrics.  It made me realize that I always have music playing in my head, unless I'm talking to someone or watching a movie.  It has made me worried now.  I really don't seem able to "turn it off"...just switch the music. I don't take any drugs of any kind, by the way.  I also am not a musician, although I enjoy certain types of music.  I am a visual artist though.  Perhaps it's a sign I should play music???
I have had this problem ever since splitting up with my boyfriend so definitely think it is something to do with blocking out painfull memories and things you don't want to think about.  It's getting ridiculous now though and is affecting my life in loads of ways, such as not being able to concentrate at uni and my grades are suffering, and also not being as sociable and interactive with my friends because when they talk to me, my mind just wonders and I'm not really listening.  It's so frustrating and I don't know what to do to get rid of it.  The doctor said he thinks I'm maybe mildly depressed but is wary of giving me anti depressants.  I just don't know what to do!
I started listening to music at bed time to drown out my husbands snoring and now I hear the same song over and over all day long. Usally the song is the last song I listened to so I quit doing it and now I still hear it.
I find that it is like multi-tasking everything so I don't do as well at work nor can I pay attention as long as I use to. My head has always had a ringing sound and now the music, it is so loud that I can't hear. I'm not sure where to start, hearing aid, doctor, who?
I have read all of your post and noticed ggreg's comment. I'm in my 50's and about 6 months ago I bought something on line that said it would eliminate metal toxins and did this three times a day but I was also trying the caveman diet or Paleo diet. I never felt so good and had more control of my thoughts with less music and ringing plus I lost weight. Russell Stovers got me hooked on chocolate covered marshmellow bunnies and I went off of the diet and ran out of toxin drops. I was so hooked on sugar that I ordered two cases from RS and gained a ton and the music came back hard and heavy.  After reading some of the post, I am going to get back on the drops, try the Ultra Mag, slow down the sugar. I am also going to get the book "Musicophelia" when I put my order in. I will let you know how that all works. Sorry, but I am thrilled to find others like me and feel like there is hope.
I appreaciated the way you approached this subject.  We have this 'internal jukebox'....and so enjoy!  I love music of all kinds, play instruments, have an ear for perfect pitch....so I just attributed this 'music in my head' as being a part of all that.  One thing that wasn't mentioned was, I find myself clicking my teeth or tapping my fingers to the beat.  That's usually how I recognize that I've got a song going on.  Then I concentrate to figure out what it is.  Not sure if THIS is normal!  When it starts to annoy me I just put the radio on.  
I also have songs, or sometimes repetitive phrases constantly in my head, even during my sleep.  I wonder what the common denominator is in all of us?  Amalgam fillings? High stress, multitasky life? over 50? past history of recreational drug use? The only time I remember it stopping was when I was away from my husband & 4 kids & our very busy homeschool life.  I was in a hotel & it was relaxing & quiet with no pressures.  It returned when I got back in the rat race.
  It seems to me that auditory hallucinations are sounds that seem as if they come in from outside your head (even tho they really don't) and can even seem so loud that it is hard to hear others at times, whereas "songs stuck in your head & running constantly" are coming from inside your head and really have nothing to do with your hearing or any auditorily related mechanism.  Seems to be 2 different things to me.  
Love you name.  I am also a "jukehead" but I am not a musician.  Always have songs running though my head.  I don't know where they come from.  Always old songs.  The songs change throughout the day.  They just pop up and remain there until something comes along to distract my brain.  
First off, forgive my spelling. As I type this now I am hearing the faint music in my head. let me say it feels good to say I'm not alone. I been having this problem for years and years. I used to be on meds for depression and axiety. Though those times taking meds I can hear the faint music play over and over. The worst part of it all is when I wake up I can still hear the music. I constantly dream every SINGLE NIGHT! I don't remember ever having a night of going to sleep and waking up from the black void of pure rest.. I play a heck of a lot of video games which I think can be the problem. I stoped taking my meds july 27th 2011. I seem to be doing good for about month and months. Now its November 17th and the music started over again. I bought some sardines and fish products with omega 3. and seems to help for a little bit. I need to buy some of that mag-nez-ium pills too. its always radio music or from video games. I also realized when I stay away from both my mind will play its own tune. A tune the world has never herd before but me. Feels singled out and afraid. I'm Constantly thinking about death and things like that but not a savere as it used to be. Im 26 and this been going on probably sense I was 18? 19? somewhere like that. I smoke alot of marijuana too. I think that may be it too. Sometimes in my dreams I can faintly hear the songs in my head in the dream. I want to have a catscant but 2000 dollars is a lot of money. When I'm occupied or talking to family or friends it goes away. Then when I realize its quiet and I'm alone it starts right back up. I forgot how it feels for life to be silent in your head. I took the medication path and didn't work. Got off the meds help a little better but still i hear the music. Music is in EVERYTHING. Can't even walk into a store to buy things I need because they have the music on. Same with the Mall, everything. I like to read books and find it VERY HARD to read books with music playing in your head. I pray and meditate as hard I can and sometimes I can find that silent world. But then BAM!!!! music time. I think I may be bipoler and done some reasearch but I can't blame life and the scary stuff in this life as an excuse to have bipoler. It feels like I have mood swings and stuff But i blame them on my enviorment. I just take care of my daughter and wife. Someone mentioned to much tv and stimulation of the brain left a scar on his brain. Do i have that? A scar on my brain? that sounds scary and adds to my depression and axiety. I feel tired and lazy all the time. I admit It used to be FAR FAR worse a couple years back but now its just there. And still very annoying. Ok what else.... I think being a hardcore gamer. ( I play xbox 360 all the time) is as bad as being a musician ( hear music day in day out ) I have 300+ games and play them all. All the colors, flashes, ect all these years. I must say it has to be it. Its my addiction. PLEASE keep in mind when I stop gaming it doesnt it anyway. Now for going to the doctor and explaining this again. They simply say."" you have depression and axiety, take these pills ( AGAIN ) " I didnt go just saying thats what will happen. I think my depression and axiety would fade if the music would stop and give me my life back.

Thanks for everybody's stories. They sorta help.
I nearly always have a song in my head that fills the space between thoughts.  I have come to realize that it is part of my natural coping system for the anxiety.  If a song is playing but will not stop when I want it to, then I am trying to drown out something making me anxious. It has become a signal for me to take a break and do something calming.
A tip for meditating...

I think that meditating will be truly helpful for those with this problem.  I think it helps to re-train the brain, BUT it is not easy to do!!  I have THE hardest time meditating -the songs just keep coming back -Most of the time, I don't make it past 20 seconds or so, but here is what i have learned recently that seems to be helping....

Meditating is like an excercise.  When you first start, you probably won't get more than 5 seconds of silence.  The key to remember is that THIS IS OK!  Don't stress about it and don't freak out -it's normal.  Accept the thought and start over.  You will probably only get another 5 seconds.  Again, accept the thought -know that it is normal and start over.  With practice, you will get slightly longer and longer periods (this is why I'm up to 20 seconds, which is not much, but I am going to keep practicing).  

Here are two things that have been helping me -I kind of alternate the techniques to keep it from getting so boring:

#1.  Get completely comfortable on a bed or something and close your eyes.  Breathe deeply.  When people try breathing excercises, they try too hard and sometimes get dizzy.  You have to concentrate on bringing the air in and out in slowly and naturally (don't force it in or out).  You have to breathe all the way in, filling your lungs and letting your stomach expand (diaphram) as well as your lungs.  There should be a pause before you exhale -only let the air out when you feel the need to (keep it from being mechanical and forced) then slowly let it all out. Do not breath in again until you feel the need (there is usually a pause).  If you force it and try too hard, you just get dizzy!

Anyway, after you get the hang of breathing fully, but very naturally, start listening to the SOUND of your breathing.  If you notice, it is kind of like an ocean.  Let the sound of your own breathing soothe you!  It gives you something to concentrate on!

#2 follow the same breathing instructions as above, but picture your breathing like a circle or a clock.  You are at the 6:00 position.  As you inhale, you are slowly coming around from 6 to 12.  you have your normal pause and then your exhale slowly takes you from 12 back down to 6.  You picture the breath all the way around the circle and somehow it occupies your brain, but is still a relaxing excercise.  

p.s.  I would definitely reduce the amount of tv and gaming.  if there are any nice days, try sitting outside and focusing on the breeze,fresh air,  the green trees, grass, city lights (if at night) -anything you can find that is natural!  I have lived in a house for 8 years and barely noticed how lucky we are to have a slightly decent view in our back yard until recently.  I've been taking more advantage of enjoying it instead of watching tv and it's been helping.  
My wife started hearing repeating songs about one year ago.  They ran day and night.  After several months the songs turned into repeating musical scales.  Months later the sounds turned into repeating notes - three or four at a time.  Now she only hears a whooshing sound she describes as being like a jet engine noise.  This sound is not in her ears, but in the same place toward the rear of her head where she heard the music.

She is in her early 60's and is in otherwise good health.  She eats healthy and organic, takes supplements, does not smoke or drink, has no mental health issues, and is careful about stress reduction.

She has had a MRI to check for brain tumor or damage of any kind that may be causing the issue.

Her twice a year checkup is a full blood work screen and physical with no abnormalities reported.

I have ordered the following book:
Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain"
Sacks, Oliver; Hardcover; $17.16
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

It is comforting to know we are not alone is trying to solve this problem,  My wife says the stress from the constant sound is more than any person should have to endure.

I will report back what we learn and what progress we are making.

it is this..my mom has it to.. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/08/000809065249.htm
Oh my, I have exactly the same situation... song keeps on repeating in my head (which i don't know where it came from) before sleeping and after i opened my eyes... it's freaking me out. i thought i was going to loose my mind. now i know i am not alone. please tell if you find anything that might help us about this. thank you.
The same thing happens to me often. Not sure if it's because I'm a musician or because I'm always listening to music. But I'll get fragments of a song or lyrics stuck in my head, and they will repeat in a loop endlessly. It definitely drives me crazy some nights or makes it hard to fall asleep. I'll find that the next day the song is lessened or that my brains response to it is weaker. I can usually fall asleep OK the next night.

It's usually a chorus part of a song where something gets repeated over and over again. But it can also be music without words like a catchy commercial jingle with whistling or something like that. It's best to mute the TV during commercials or avoid TV altogether, especially before bed time. Too much stimulation to your brain and also you might hear some music that could get stuck in your head before you try to go to sleep.

I believe this is a form of OCD. It's more internalized than some of the other forms.

With OCD you have thoughts that you can't control and don't want and that may be negative. You have an emotional response with anxiety or fear to these thoughts. You think "why am I thinking such a terrible thought?
it must mean I'm a bad person." Which, of course, is not the case. We can't really control our thoughts or what comes into our head at any given time, but you CAN control your response to these thoughts.

With that emotional response of anxiety or fear to those thoughts you are essentially making your brain think that these thoughts are VERY important and should be kept around. You can't get them out of your head and stop thinking about them because of the fearful response you had. You've attached emotions to these thoughts.

The same thing happens with your reponse to music in your head. You get frustrated by it or scared by it and you essentially burn it it into your brain with that negative response. The place too much importance on it which causes you to focus on the music all the more. Best thing to do is to try some relaxation techniques like meditation and deep breathing.

I'd recommend reading a book by a guy named Jeffrey Schwartz called "Brain Lock: Free yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder". It has some very helpful information. Look it up on Amazon.
Hi.  I also have this issue.  I attribute this condition to the reason I have near perfect pitch.  For me, the music not only plays in my head but my brain  reproduces all of the instruments, voices, percussion and harmonics in an almost perfect replica of the recording.  

I get very few periods of quiet.  And I can'r stop it.   I would really like to be able to control it because it is terribly distracting.  But I cant control it.  I pray that someone finds something that will help.
I actually meant to reply to you......

I have had this my whole life. Always a song in my mind. I'm 70 now and it seems to have gotten worse in the last few years. I play musical instriments  and have mucial background. I always thought that was the reason it happened  
Hi, did you consider meditation? It could be helpful. But first you may need to talk to a good teacher who teaches meditation and take advice.
i am the same iv never been on anti depressants and hardly any medication but i have this beat no words just lyrics that stop only when im occupied
I have been hearing music/songs in my head for about 3 years,  Also my ears have been rinfing for about 20+ years.  I was diagnosed with mutiple sclerosis about 2 years ago at Baylor/Dallas and then at UT Southwest M.S.dept,  It (music) is mild and not really a problem.  I guess I have adapted. My hearing became very bad a few weeks after first eposide (of MS) about 3 yrs ago.  My brain does not always inturpet the real sounds from people correctly. I suspect M.S. was probably the cause of a few different symptoms starting a long as 30 years.  I am 71 yrs old.  When I am very sleepy, the sounds in my head shif to what seems to be a talk/news radio station (or maybe TV).  Neurologist do MRIs at least once a year (several 3 yrs ago), but seem to not  care to talk about sounds/music in my head.  They never bring the subject up so I have accepted it and do not bring it up anymore.  I am a retired pharmacist and have done a lot of reading/researh on the subject, interesting but little if any results to help,  It really does not bother me but it is most interesting I think, but no one really can understands it.  But it is nice to find company on this web-site.
I'm a 25 year old male who has suffered from this my entire life. And by entire life I mean ever since I can remember, which I can recall being 4 or 5 and the songs were like Barney, Reading Rainbow, Sesame Street, etc. Quick mental health background...I have suffered from depression for approx. 12ish years, and bipolar1 for several years at least, though I didn't see a dr. for it until last year. I also receive treatment for minor anxiety(non-narcotic...the xanax/valium things made me a clepto!!) and a sleep aid. Sometimes I am even unfortunate enough to have a mixed episode as well...those are scary I just can't be around people because I get so nervous/paranoid and do not know how I will react, a huge crybaby or a maniac trying wreak havoc...hate it!
I honestly thought everyone had music playin in their minds constantly, since I've never known life without it except, as others said, when involved in a stimulating activity. The last couple of years, however, it started becoming a HUGE distraction for me, either due to just getting older, or who knows, but I finally hit rock bottom on this nonstop rock-a-thon in my head today and found this site where I was amazed to find that many of the users here shared this problem, and even more amazed to discover that it wasn't normal to have the constant playlist that's on shuffle/repeat/remix-from-hell modes all at once! So, does anyone know what could have caused me to just have it from such a young age? I skimmed most of the comments here and saw like 17/18 as the youngest age anyone else started having it.
I see my psychiatrist on Thursday and my counselor/therapist or whatever on 9/11/12. I will be mentioning the music marthon to them to seek their advice and will post again if they offer us any new insights to this music fiasco! I love me some music, but seriously...I didn't know people could have quiet in their heads, and I think it would be AMAZING, I'd feel like a new man I believe haha.
Thanks all!
please let me know how things turn out? My ma is suffering from music playing in her head also. I'm going to have her try the Magnesium vits. for now, I have been checking out some things on-line, but coming to dead ends.
There's got to be some explanation for this??
Maybe there's some Old Wifes tale cures..
may be this could help you. the disease might be related to epilepsy:

"auditory perseveration", is a rare condition in which sounds repeat even after they are inaudible. It is related to another rare neurological condition - -palinopsia, in which visual images repeat or cause trails.
treatment: anticonvulsants, carbamazepine, Quetiapine.
i also had suffered from music perseverations for 2 years. after treatment with 1x 300mg carbamazepine for a week, and follow up 2x 300mg carbamazepine the music was nearly gone.

i guess therefore, it might worth to try carbamazepine. ask your physician about "music perseveration".

in fact, no one knows how this medication works in detail. it block sodium channels, and this thought disorder might have its origin in a distinct region of the brain.

that is all i can tell you, hope this would welp.
I came across this quite by accident and was slightly surprised by the level of concern that is generating.

I'm someone who has extensively trained my mind and while I haven't looked into this issue I occasionally experience this effect but it isn't really something to worry about/

There are two basic scenarios:
1) You are approaching a dream type state and your mind is dropping itself into a sleep cycle.
2) Your mind has been filtering out the song while doing another task.

To start with 2) your mind when processing information such as listening to a conversation in crowded room has to do a large level of filtering in to distinguish the words being said. Voices have distinctive characteristics and yet the mind has to identify the common words.

This can often result in the mind playing back a song that it has heard during the day this is not the same as an hullicination but a task of memory (which also links into a form of imagination.)

A hullicination would be thinking that you are hearing music coming from the room and not being able to find the source or hearing a noise and interpret it as someone calling your name.

When you are listening to music you'll often be doing another task and if your concentration on this task increases you will no longer pay attention to the music. Similarly if you don't listen to a song you like for a year then hear it again it sounds much fresher.

You must be familiar with talking to someone and having your mind wander and then have to replay the conversation in your mind and then work out what was says. This is an essential task which is a sign of a healthy mind. While the described effect is not as a conscious act of recall it is normally just a sign of the brain getting bored or leaving a filter in place similar to when you come out of a night club. If it is not happening all the time it is nothing to worry about.

When you are depressed you simply pay more attention to things that you notice less when you are happy. While PTSD can transfer the music or sound will lead to a strong emotional response as you relive an instance which your mind is trying to fix but can't.

1) if you are tired enough your mind blends a dream and waking state it is simply part of the transition to sleep and dreams and your mind and imagination are given free reign. If you don't like the effect you can try tricks such as altering the tune a form of composing. Similarly creative imagination exercises can be used to improve your ability to dream,

While this may not be something everyone experiences it should not be viewed as a bad thing but like the ability to replay a game of chess in your mind with variations it is a sign of a stronger mind.

Some similar effects such as thinking your name is called or the doorbell has rung may be more of an issue although extreme tiredness can explain a lot too.

David
I am so happy to know that I am not alone.  I have been experiencing repetitive song only when I wake in the night.  It is not a song I have
heard during the day. It is usually a song or jingle I am vaguely familiar with.  At first I thought the content of the song was my mind trying to communicate subliminally but NOT.  I have experienced this the past two years and thought it perhaps was related to going through menopause early?  I do have hypothyroidism,  do not drink alcohol and have never done drugs.  Omegas have been a part of my diet so I have no clue
what measures to take to rid myself of this sleep disruption.  Thanks
to everyone for sharing you experiences.
Hy, I suffer from the same problem. Did you find any medicine to stop the music? It is driving me crazy!
I have had an experience once, with carbamazepine. It went very well, the music stopped. But now it is back again and I'm really suprised to see that so much people suffer from the same problem. My psychiatrist is increasing the levels off carbamazepine to see if the music stops again. It is important to distinguish the disease from the normal music hearing that normal people suffer, also if the music is playing in the had (which is related to epilepsy) of music playing outside the had(which must be related to halucination)
I have the same thing. I find that taking inositol powder (it's a kind of vitamin B) every day helps with this and also with OCD in general. I take about one heaping tablespoon of inositol powder in my oatmeal every morning (I use Jarrow but have also used NOW). It has a pleasantly sweet taste, so you can use it in tea or anything you like. If you google Inositol you will see that one can take this large of an amount with no side effects. You have to give it a chance to work. I think that when I first started taking it, it may have been 3 weeks to a month before it started working. It's a relief, and if I ever get out of the habit of taking the inositol, the repeated music/words come back (and the OCD behavior as well). I'm NOT a doctor. Good luck to you all and let us all know if the Inositol works for you, too.
Just wondering if anybody has heard of the Gut and Psychology Syndrom (syndrome) book, You can get it online, by Natasha Mc Bride.
Follow this link, sorry it is a long sit, but fasinating! In this link you will hear about the link between the Gut and psychological health.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_0NvcJZwa8
Interesting,   I've had "The Blue Danube" going through my head for a month.   The silly thing is that I had to search an old LP to find out what song it was!   Yet, suddenly, out of nowhere I start humming it.
   Yes, I am very over stimulated, meditation is virtually impossible for me.   Prayer?  Funny you should mention that because, as a part of dealing with this persistent song in my head, I have put words of prayer to it.  lol
    I have wondered if it was part of some mental issue, since I have plenty of quirks --- over 50, I call myself eccentric.
    I started taking magnesium for headaches a couple months ago.   It helped that.
hello,
I am having the same problem, I am glad to find this forum, I am going to a neuro but I am afraid they will think I am crazy.... I also suffer from anxiety and maybe its always been there but I am in my 50's and it has now showed up load & clear. Any good meds?  I tried ssri's and had bad side effects.. still looking for help
Hi, I've songs in my head for 15 years........
I'm from Hong Kong, ... is there anyone from Hong Kong?
I'm just found this web site 1 month ago and I'm so glad that I'm not the only one.....
but this problem has severely affect my life.
I can't have my own mind when talking to people or watching television.
The songs just play repeatedly & random in my mind, even if I just sitting here. I feel comfort only when I listen to music or songs so that I can have my mind be still and stop thinking of music.
I'm so depressed, collapsed that no one understand me, including my family & friends.
I started went to mental doctors and psychologist many years ago but the situation remain the same. I took 40mg seroxat every night before sleep now but useless. But the situation become even worst if I stop took seroxat. I thought is is because I've too seroxat for many years and my body have already 'live' with' it.
But I'm just wonder would seroxat really help me?
The doctor just give me seroxat in every medical appointment.
My life, my relationship has been destroyed by this problem....
I hope we can all be healed and recover by this year, as I know it is painful to have problem for even just 1 day!
comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma

Read it over and over, you are not allowed to stop.  Hours pass and while you do other things you must also read that - over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Or, how about a musical phrase.  Lets put 1 line of a song on a loop and play it over and over for you for hours.  

Once you begin to feel your brain breaking under the strain of repetition, you will more clearly understand what some of us are going thru.

Your opinion that your surprised by how much concern this has just shows your lack of understanding.
sorry it's hard to realize wt are you talking abt
I have the same problem, seems like a lot of people do since there are so many comments on this forum.  I have had it as long as I can remember.  I am 37, no history of drug abuse, I am not a musician but have been singing in choir since I was young.  I do suffer from severe anxiety, bipolar disorder, and for the last 7 months it has been major depressive disorder with thoughts of suicide.  I am currently on a mix of zoloft and wellbutrin with xanax as needed.  Things are getting better with my depression but I still have music in my head constantly.  It starts as soon as I wake up and doesn't end until I fall asleep.  I went through a painful breakup of a long term relationship 7 months ago and not too long after I began to hate listening to music.  I completely did a 360 and I will only listen to political radio...and I was NEVER into politics before.  As a matter of fact, if they are not talking about politics I am not interested in listening.  But it doesn't matter, the music never goes away.  When I am at work I will start humming or singing under my breath and my coworkers have commented on it when I don't even realize I am doing it.  I have also started whistling tunes under my breath and it is so annoying.  I have not seen Mary Poppins since I was a kid, yet I have had the song Chim Chim Cheree in my head for weeks now...it is driving me mad!  :/
may i ask how many years have yoy started this problem of thinking music in head?
This is exactly what I have. 49 yo female. But its wearing me down and scaring me because of a lot of family mental health disease. HELP
yes its really annoying...but perhaps its our constant thinking about the problem which makes it infinitely worse..i think getting some tension off from your life is the way to go about it..
also i dont think taking any medicine is a gud idea..or relying on any external substance..especially for the working ppl..its a problem which starts in our mind and should end there ...
I have it to.  No dx of anything.  Definitely have had non clinical depression, and lots of stress.  I can pretty much pinpoint when it began as I was going though a stressful mental health issue with a teenager.  Suddenly, ---it began.  I tell myself STOP!  And sometimes that works a bit.  Other times (especially bed time) I can do a breathing exercise with a chant.  Inhale 8 beats, exhale (same rhythm 4 beats so double pushout on the exhale) and you can chant anything.  This always works (as always temporary too!).  If the song is to intense, I switch the tune to Bolero.  The beginning.  It is slow and quiet.  That helps with sleep as well.Hang in there.
I have had songs playing in my head constantly for many years. I actually saw a physiatrist today and told him about it. That there must be something I can take or do to rid myself of it. I too sometimes move my throat muscles with the songs in my head. The doctor asked me from what era are the songs you are hearing in your head all day? I thought this was a strange question.... but I thought about it and all the songs were from the 60's and 70's when I grew up... my father molested me as a child for many years and the doctor believes that I use the songs from back then to occupy my head and thoughts to block memories of my father and his abusive actions during that period of time.  He said he otherwise does not know why this is happening. Im a healthy 49 year old woman with no medical conditions. I think its also caused by PTSD or OCD.  
I'm taking Lexapro and find that I have started getting music "earworms" as a week or two after I started taking it. The same thing happened to me when I've been on Prozac. There is a connection for sure.
Try l-theanine.  You can only take two a day.  If the songs keep you up, take one at bedtime saving the other for during the day. L-theanine is an amino acid that helps your mind calm down without any drowsy effect and helps you focus during the day.  Ask you doctor before taking it to see if its okay to take with your medications.  Good luck
Thank you SO much to all who have posted here.  I have been hearing songs in my head since I was a little girl, at least three years old is my first memory of having songs repeating in my mind.  For the past 6 or 7 years I often have TWO songs playing at the same time in my head.  It makes it very difficult to focus sometimes.  I lose things, forget things, am absent minded.  When I get to know someone and explain that I am not an idiot, but actually am very distracted by the music playing in my head at all times, they generally scoop up their children and back away from me slowly towards the closest exit.  Okay, I am exaggerating, but when you tell someone, "Ugh this tune won't leave my mind" they generally reply, "Oh that happens to me all of the time."  But when you admit you often wake up with loud music playing in your head, that sounds like it is actually playing in the room, like a radio in your ear.  Or that in your waking hours you often have two songs playing simultaneously and overlapping, they look at you like... maybe they are a little bit afraid of how insane you might be. If I were a song writer, or a musician, I think maybe this wouldn't bother me so much, maybe I would have an outlet.  I think it may be genetic, because my 7 year old son is almost always singing or humming some tune and has been since he was 3.  But he says there is only ONE song at time in his head, thank goodness! And he does not hear music when he wakes up like I often do.  My dreams are SO loud sometimes, that when I wake up and my bedroom is quiet, I am so relieved.  But generally very exhausted during the day after such disturbingly loud dreams.  I don't listen to music very often (I did when I was younger like a normal person) and I don't play video games or anything.  I DO take supplements, magnesium, fish oil, multi vitamin, L-theanine.  But I have never been good about ALWAYS taking them religiously, at the same time every day.  I have not now, nor have I ever done any street drugs or abused drugs.  If that helps people to know it's probably not that.   Thank you so much for your input everyone. AND I am glad I am not alone with the music in my head.  I am wondering if anyone else experiences the two songs playing at once problem?  This doesn't just happen when I am alone, going to sleep, or my mind is drifting.  This is constant music, all of the time, even in the background while people are talking, I am having a conversation, or even when I am trying to concentrate (and often succeeding in concentrating) on a task, or writing, reading, etc.  Sometimes it is really annoying, I have been functioning with the problem for most of my life, but sometimes it really gets in the way of focus and happiness.  The two songs overlapping and the waking from the loud dream, and the music continuing and seeming real is the toughest thing to deal with.
My problem started a few weeks ago with the stuttering , my b/p was 165/110 I was feeling bad.  Went to the hospital and was given pressure medicine.  Then I woke up and noticed my thinking process was delayed, then the repeating of a few songs over  and over again in my head.  Only the chorus of the  3 songs would repeat themselves in my head.  I thought it was from the anxiety attacks I was having because I'm very stressed and depressed already.  She prescribed Vistaril which calmed me down a lot.    I went to a neurologist and told him my symptoms, he said by my pressure being high it caused my brain to swell and that's why i feel the way I do.   Got an MRI everything looked good he said that once my pressure stabilizes I should be back to normal.  I'm scared that this will never leave me!! If anyone out there was able to get rid of this please let me know!!! Thanks!!!