hearing repeat sounds/songs in my head
I keep hearing repeat songs in my head...I do not hear voices only songs.  I suffer from extreme anxiety and depression am on Lorazepam and several homeopathic remedies.  I was put on several anti depressants for a period of one year with severe side effects.  I am now hyper sensitive to medications.
I am so happy to know that I am not alone.  I have been experiencing repetitive song only when I wake in the night.  It is not a song I have
heard during the day. It is usually a song or jingle I am vaguely familiar with.  At first I thought the content of the song was my mind trying to communicate subliminally but NOT.  I have experienced this the past two years and thought it perhaps was related to going through menopause early?  I do have hypothyroidism,  do not drink alcohol and have never done drugs.  Omegas have been a part of my diet so I have no clue
what measures to take to rid myself of this sleep disruption.  Thanks
to everyone for sharing you experiences.
Hy, I suffer from the same problem. Did you find any medicine to stop the music? It is driving me crazy!
Confia en Dios fue lo que me ayudo a mi. y si considera la medicina creo dos usuarios han comentado la eficacia de la carbamazepina podria discutirlo con su medico
I have had an experience once, with carbamazepine. It went very well, the music stopped. But now it is back again and I'm really suprised to see that so much people suffer from the same problem. My psychiatrist is increasing the levels off carbamazepine to see if the music stops again. It is important to distinguish the disease from the normal music hearing that normal people suffer, also if the music is playing in the had (which is related to epilepsy) of music playing outside the had(which must be related to halucination)
I have the same thing. I find that taking inositol powder (it's a kind of vitamin B) every day helps with this and also with OCD in general. I take about one heaping tablespoon of inositol powder in my oatmeal every morning (I use Jarrow but have also used NOW). It has a pleasantly sweet taste, so you can use it in tea or anything you like. If you google Inositol you will see that one can take this large of an amount with no side effects. You have to give it a chance to work. I think that when I first started taking it, it may have been 3 weeks to a month before it started working. It's a relief, and if I ever get out of the habit of taking the inositol, the repeated music/words come back (and the OCD behavior as well). I'm NOT a doctor. Good luck to you all and let us all know if the Inositol works for you, too.
Just wondering if anybody has heard of the Gut and Psychology Syndrom book, You can get it online, by Natasha Mc Bride.
Follow this link, sorry it is a long sit, but fasinating! In this link you will hear about the link between the Gut and psychological health.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_0NvcJZwa8
Interesting,   I've had "The Blue Danube" going through my head for a month.   The silly thing is that I had to search an old LP to find out what song it was!   Yet, suddenly, out of nowhere I start humming it.
   Yes, I am very over stimulated, meditation is virtually impossible for me.   Prayer?  Funny you should mention that because, as a part of dealing with this persistent song in my head, I have put words of prayer to it.  lol
    I have wondered if it was part of some mental issue, since I have plenty of quirks --- over 50, I call myself eccentric.
    I started taking magnesium for headaches a couple months ago.   It helped that.
hello,
I am having the same problem, I am glad to find this forum, I am going to a neuro but I am afraid they will think I am crazy.... I also suffer from anxiety and maybe its always been there but I am in my 50's and it has now showed up load & clear. Any good meds?  I tried ssri's and had bad side effects.. still looking for help
Hi, I've songs in my head for 15 years........
I'm from Hong Kong, ... is there anyone from Hong Kong?
I'm just found this web site 1 month ago and I'm so glad that I'm not the only one.....
but this problem has severely affect my life.
I can't have my own mind when talking to people or watching television.
The songs just play repeatedly & random in my mind, even if I just sitting here. I feel comfort only when I listen to music or songs so that I can have my mind be still and stop thinking of music.
I'm so depressed, collapsed that no one understand me, including my family & friends.
I started went to mental doctors and psychologist many years ago but the situation remain the same. I took 40mg seroxat every night before sleep now but useless. But the situation become even worst if I stop took seroxat. I thought is is because I've too seroxat for many years and my body have already 'live' with' it.
But I'm just wonder would seroxat really help me?
The doctor just give me seroxat in every medical appointment.
My life, my relationship has been destroyed by this problem....
I hope we can all be healed and recover by this year, as I know it is painful to have problem for even just 1 day!
comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma comma

Read it over and over, you are not allowed to stop.  Hours pass and while you do other things you must also read that - over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Or, how about a musical phrase.  Lets put 1 line of a song on a loop and play it over and over for you for hours.  

Once you begin to feel your brain breaking under the strain of repetition, you will more clearly understand what some of us are going thru.

Your opinion that your surprised by how much concern this has just shows your lack of understanding.
sorry it's hard to realize wt are you talking abt
I have the same problem, seems like a lot of people do since there are so many comments on this forum.  I have had it as long as I can remember.  I am 37, no history of drug abuse, I am not a musician but have been singing in choir since I was young.  I do suffer from severe anxiety, bipolar disorder, and for the last 7 months it has been major depressive disorder with thoughts of suicide.  I am currently on a mix of zoloft and wellbutrin with xanax as needed.  Things are getting better with my depression but I still have music in my head constantly.  It starts as soon as I wake up and doesn't end until I fall asleep.  I went through a painful breakup of a long term relationship 7 months ago and not too long after I began to hate listening to music.  I completely did a 360 and I will only listen to political radio...and I was NEVER into politics before.  As a matter of fact, if they are not talking about politics I am not interested in listening.  But it doesn't matter, the music never goes away.  When I am at work I will start humming or singing under my breath and my coworkers have commented on it when I don't even realize I am doing it.  I have also started whistling tunes under my breath and it is so annoying.  I have not seen Mary Poppins since I was a kid, yet I have had the song Chim Chim Cheree in my head for weeks now...it is driving me mad!  :/
may i ask how many years have yoy started this problem of thinking music in head?
This is exactly what I have. 49 yo female. But its wearing me down and scaring me because of a lot of family mental health disease. HELP
yes its really annoying...but perhaps its our constant thinking about the problem which makes it infinitely worse..i think getting some tension off from your life is the way to go about it..
also i dont think taking any medicine is a gud idea..or relying on any external substance..especially for the working ppl..its a problem which starts in our mind and should end there ...
I have it to.  No dx of anything.  Definitely have had non clinical depression, and lots of stress.  I can pretty much pinpoint when it began as I was going though a stressful mental health issue with a teenager.  Suddenly, ---it began.  I tell myself STOP!  And sometimes that works a bit.  Other times (especially bed time) I can do a breathing exercise with a chant.  Inhale 8 beats, exhale (same rhythm 4 beats so double pushout on the exhale) and you can chant anything.  This always works (as always temporary too!).  If the song is to intense, I switch the tune to Bolero.  The beginning.  It is slow and quiet.  That helps with sleep as well.Hang in there.
I have had songs playing in my head constantly for many years. I actually saw a physiatrist today and told him about it. That there must be something I can take or do to rid myself of it. I too sometimes move my throat muscles with the songs in my head. The doctor asked me from what era are the songs you are hearing in your head all day? I thought this was a strange question.... but I thought about it and all the songs were from the 60's and 70's when I grew up... my father molested me as a child for many years and the doctor believes that I use the songs from back then to occupy my head and thoughts to block memories of my father and his abusive actions during that period of time.  He said he otherwise does not know why this is happening. Im a healthy 49 year old woman with no medical conditions. I think its also caused by PTSD or OCD.  
I'm taking Lexapro and find that I have started getting music "earworms" as a week or two after I started taking it. The same thing happened to me when I've been on Prozac. There is a connection for sure.
Try l-theanine.  You can only take two a day.  If the songs keep you up, take one at bedtime saving the other for during the day. L-theanine is an amino acid that helps your mind calm down without any drowsy effect and helps you focus during the day.  Ask you doctor before taking it to see if its okay to take with your medications.  Good luck
Thank you SO much to all who have posted here.  I have been hearing songs in my head since I was a little girl, at least three years old is my first memory of having songs repeating in my mind.  For the past 6 or 7 years I often have TWO songs playing at the same time in my head.  It makes it very difficult to focus sometimes.  I lose things, forget things, am absent minded.  When I get to know someone and explain that I am not an idiot, but actually am very distracted by the music playing in my head at all times, they generally scoop up their children and back away from me slowly towards the closest exit.  Okay, I am exaggerating, but when you tell someone, "Ugh this tune won't leave my mind" they generally reply, "Oh that happens to me all of the time."  But when you admit you often wake up with loud music playing in your head, that sounds like it is actually playing in the room, like a radio in your ear.  Or that in your waking hours you often have two songs playing simultaneously and overlapping, they look at you like... maybe they are a little bit afraid of how insane you might be. If I were a song writer, or a musician, I think maybe this wouldn't bother me so much, maybe I would have an outlet.  I think it may be genetic, because my 7 year old son is almost always singing or humming some tune and has been since he was 3.  But he says there is only ONE song at time in his head, thank goodness! And he does not hear music when he wakes up like I often do.  My dreams are SO loud sometimes, that when I wake up and my bedroom is quiet, I am so relieved.  But generally very exhausted during the day after such disturbingly loud dreams.  I don't listen to music very often (I did when I was younger like a normal person) and I don't play video games or anything.  I DO take supplements, magnesium, fish oil, multi vitamin, L-theanine.  But I have never been good about ALWAYS taking them religiously, at the same time every day.  I have not now, nor have I ever done any street drugs or abused drugs.  If that helps people to know it's probably not that.   Thank you so much for your input everyone. AND I am glad I am not alone with the music in my head.  I am wondering if anyone else experiences the two songs playing at once problem?  This doesn't just happen when I am alone, going to sleep, or my mind is drifting.  This is constant music, all of the time, even in the background while people are talking, I am having a conversation, or even when I am trying to concentrate (and often succeeding in concentrating) on a task, or writing, reading, etc.  Sometimes it is really annoying, I have been functioning with the problem for most of my life, but sometimes it really gets in the way of focus and happiness.  The two songs overlapping and the waking from the loud dream, and the music continuing and seeming real is the toughest thing to deal with.
My problem started a few weeks ago with the stuttering , my b/p was 165/110 I was feeling bad.  Went to the hospital and was given pressure medicine.  Then I woke up and noticed my thinking process was delayed, then the repeating of a few songs over  and over again in my head.  Only the chorus of the  3 songs would repeat themselves in my head.  I thought it was from the anxiety attacks I was having because I'm very stressed and depressed already.  She prescribed Vistaril which calmed me down a lot.    I went to a neurologist and told him my symptoms, he said by my pressure being high it caused my brain to swell and that's why i feel the way I do.   Got an MRI everything looked good he said that once my pressure stabilizes I should be back to normal.  I'm scared that this will never leave me!! If anyone out there was able to get rid of this please let me know!!! Thanks!!!
I experience this. if my mind was idle the song is always plays in my mind , I try to listened to other song but the song that plays in my mind is the old one. I'm a Filipino 20 years old.  Sometimes i feel worried but ill do some things  like watching funny videos, play some games, and the other thing i always say in my mind repeatedly the word "Jesus Name" for me it works. I don't know if this syndrome go away in my mind. I do for now is to think positive and meditate.
Your tips on meditation will be very helpful to me I think. I seem to always have this crazy rhythm going on in my brain and I think understand what it is. For a long time now I have been in maximum overdrive working and running around with no time for myself. I have noticed that the rhythm in my head is extremely fast and even if it is a song it seems to be in fast speed. Now that things are slowing down for me as far as work and lack of time, I notice the rhythm in my head even more and it isn't going away. It's like I've been in a stressful mode for so long that my brain is still stressing even though it doesn't need to be any more. I think meditation will probably help a lot. It may be all about learning to relax and slow down.
"Good Times!  Ain't we lucky we got 'em?  Good times!  Temporary lay-offs, good times!" etc., etc.  - Unfortunately, I grew up on TV.  Our house was most relaxed when we watched TV together (e.g. no yelling, no drama, etc.).

This theme song, and other random songs (always with lyrics) have been 'ear worms' for me.

One interesting thing I have noticed, is that I almost always seem to have any given song in my head while I'm in the shower!  Admittedly, I sometimes sing...makeup songs...usually about my cat, since she waits outside the shower for me (I guess she's bewildered why I would want to be in water..LOL).  But I never sing the songs that play as I shower.  I wonder if the hot water stimulates something in my brain?

I went through a period of (thinking) I needed to have a TV on low when I slept.  This went on for years, but then I learned it prevented me from true REM sleep, and messed up my circadian rhythm, etc.  I can happily say, that I don't need the TV on to sleep.  I do think it made me feel safe (perhaps from memories of things I did not want to remember?), but a real good night's sleep is the best.

I do have depression; have not (yet) been on medication for it.  I also was bitten by a tick when I was a child.  I think I was 7 or 9?  My older sister and I were caring for the neighbors' dogs while they were away.  I remember  my back itched, and I was agitated, and I think I was behaving a little deliriously.  This caused my mom to inspect, and discover a tick in my back.  She lit a match, blew it out and touched it to the tick and it came out.  Although, I read recently, that is not a good way to remove a tick, but she did not know that way back then.

A few years ago, I noticed a brown rectangle patch of skin on my back.  It tends to be quite itchy.  A doctor I had back then, said it was a late-forming birthmark (WHAT?!?!?)  Not sure I even believe that's a 'thing'.  I wonder if that could be in any way, related to the tick bite?  Also, I don't know if after almost 40 years of being bitten, if they can even tell if I got Lyme Disease from it?

I will be looking into the Lyme connection for sure.

Good luck to everyone on here with being able to only hear music when you want to.  :)
Fascinating discussion! As long as I can remember I've heard bits & pieces of music in my head, some from songs I knew but more often just short guitar riffs (I'm a former rock&roll garage/party band guitar hack). I know I had a few tick bites in childhood, decades ago. But I've also had multiple concussions, a traumatic brain injury and brain surgery, and am taking what will probably be lifelong prescriptions for a sleep movement disorder and major depression. The music could be related to several of these factors, but I suspect it's more a default reaction to some mental chore I'd rather not do - like balancing the checkbook or reading a complex article.

If you are concerned about possibly having Lyme disease you might want to check out www.lymedisease.org. One of the things it said is Lyme disease is known as "the great imitator" because it mimics symptoms from so many other conditions. Also said "Experts agree that the earlier you are treated, the better; and early treatment is often successful. Unfortunately, more than half of the patients treated with short-term antibiotics continue to have significant symptoms. The quality of life of patients with chronic Lyme disease is similar to that of patients with congestive heart failure." My heart is healthy so the music in my head isn't from Lyme. Echoing other readers, meditation and focusing on breathing helps me mute the music.
its called an earworm
its called a earwom
Very interesting comment.  I was on Lexapro, then Celexa for anxiety and I began having songs both in my head and silently in my 'mouth'.  I think that it was because of the SSRIs that I developed this very annoying obsession.  I have no clue as to how to eliminate this very annoying habit.
I believe this phenomenon of hearing repeating sounds in your head is something similar to tinnitus, but not the tinnitus that comes from audio damage to the ears but rather from stress or something else psychological. I have had it for the last two days. I am dealing with it like this:

1. realize that it you, your mind that is creating this noise. and you are ultimatly in control of your mind.

2. dont let yourself be a victim, you are in control.

3. train your mind not to create these sounds. practice listening to the actual sounds that are around you. even when you are in a relatively quiet environment there will be distant sounds or a continuous background sounds. focus in on these, still your mind, and whenever the repeating sound comes block it mentally, or try to, and focus back onto the actual sounds around you. you may find it very difficult but once it starts to work even just once or twice at first and only for a few seconds-this few seconds can be extended to minutes, and eventually in normal day to day you will hear the sounds less, and then later not hear the sounds (your mind will loose the habit of creating them) at all. if you are a person with an extreme case, like some of these commenters, it may be that with a lot of practise you get it down to only a couple of episodes a day. The important this is to make life bearable, weather you only hear it 20 times a day or 200, each person has their own unique case. Just as important is to know that it is curable. To have HOPE. Then cure yourself! I found out all this by curing myself from Tinnitus years ago, now that this repeating noise thing started a few days ago (probably from current stressful life situation) I have been curing it myself again, and its working, glad to say. Hope this helps.
I have the same problem. It's a repeated six notes in my head. The first 3 are the same and the next three are the same but a lower key.
Over and over and over. Non stop for 3 years. I wake up with it and I go to sleep with it.  I have no idea how to stop it.  However it does shift when I am concentrating on something or if I have headphones on
Anybody have any kind of help ?  
. I try to sleep or when I'm not thinking about anything unparticular all that is in my mind is some choruses to some random song... some catchy theme song to show or commercial... I cant sleep unless have altered my state of mind though anxiety meds wine...I cant take it anymore I want to go to sleep naturally
Hmm I have heard background music almost continuously for one or two years now. I also have hearing loss and a degree of tinnitus, though this is more like a white noise, I seem to be able to ignore it pretty easily but the music in my head is annoying, seems to take an effort to be with and even more effort to stop, almost impossible to stop. It's most fundamental nature is low pitched choral, many voiced, singing. Often songs I know repeated. It's very much like I am hearing it internally, I don't choose to create it. Maybe it's a natural defence against tinnitus.
Hi my name is alan I've been suffering from anxiety for around 5 years only recently maybe the last 6 months I've started to notice that when I listen to a song it gets stuck in my mind and it keeps repeating it self over and over and I think I'm losing the plot but a keep trying to reassure my self this is normal I'm sure I've got severe aniexty symptoms are feeling floaty specially my arms and legs can anyone help me
Same problem,the last few years music won't stop playing in my head, a certain section or chorus repeats, it's more noticeable when I am alone and it's quiet.

I have had panic attacks in the past, not for a couple years now. But do have anxiety problems where I can get breathing problems and light headed for no reason.

I think this problem is related to stress, anxiety. Seemed to start up with me when I had more problems in my life with my girlfriend and other problems with money and work, depression.
At one point I thought I was the only person suffering with this!I do think about my breathing alot and I've had some panic attacks in past I'm just trying to tell my self I'm normal have you told your doctor
This has been a chronic issue for awhile now.  I get some solace in knowing that there are others having the same experience.  
So I just read this article -- CHEW GUM.  I'm going to try it!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/25/song-stuck-in-head_n_7129586.html
lithium. have you been on it? my grandma was on it and swore by hearing music and songs
I have not told my doctor about this, but I think it's either a related to some sort of anxiety or the mild depression I get sometimes. I don't know, I told my mother about it once, she thought it was very strange , so I don't talk about it as people might think it's a mental problem. Maybe it is, but I haven't found a cure for it. A song gets stuck in my head, only to go away when I find a new song I like, then that one plays over and over. Even music my neighbors play can keep playing in my head. It's not easy to cope with sometimes.

It's worse when there is no noise in the room, when it's quiet at night I can hear the songs playing loud in my head. I don't notice it if I am distracted talking to someone or sound from the tv. But it's probably always there, I am just used to it.

The problem with mental issues, is that a lot of the time the person who has them is not aware that they are acting odd, it can just creep up on you slowly and you don't notice it.  But other people can see it. Maybe there are other things linked to this, in the mind, but we don't see those problems, only the very obvious one , music playing over and over.

But I honestly think it's just anxiety, worry, stress, that is doing it, I have had it bad over the last few years , never had anxiety problems like this until  I was 30, just started for some reason and hasn't gone away since.
I'll just add one more thing, when i am going to sleep I hear songs in my head that I've never even heard before.  I think it's the subconscious that is behind this. Doing it's own thing. And we have no control over it.
One time I was going with my family for lunch because I missed having family things for years and on the day I arrived home, I listened to sad piano songs and cried about it. Then the next day I had it stuck in my head and I didn't mind until a couple days later, it wouldn't go out of my mind. I started having fear and anxiety about it. Currently, I am living with this for about 2 months and it drove me nuts. Now all I am doing is changing the songs to the one I like in my head and actually enjoying it, rather than seeing it as a threat and it works at times, and it gets annoying but I have coped with it. So yea the key is to just embrace it and learn to live with it, it's gotten better for me. All you have to learn is to accept it and eventually it will slowly fade. Also I have a better control over the music compared to before.
Tips:
- Sleeping more helped me
- Going out with friends helped
- Go into the sunlight, or go into nature
- Just don't stay home because it will aggravate it
- Volunteer, and see people
- Laugh or engage in long conversations
- Video games require focus
- Sports helped or running on the treadmills like your sprinting because you will need the focus to be able to run fast (has to be intensive)

I don't know how you guys got yours but I got mine from being sad and depressed.
Anyways best of luck. I feel so much better that I'm not the only one.
Tips:
- Sleeping more helped me
- Going out with friends helped
- Volunteer, and see people
- Laugh or engage in long conversations
- Video games require focus

plse contact me at +91 8824436406. i also have this problem
Pelae contact me  ***@**** I am suffering this for 5 years.I am in despair
İs there anyone with solution.Please help me

Musical obsessions in now a well recognized entity as part of OCD (Obsessive compulsive disease).

It is very common to have "earworms" or getting songs stuck in your head, and nearly 95% of people experienced that at least once in their lifetime.

However when this is a recurrent phenomenon that interferes with someone's life (Affecting performance, relationships or causing significant distress), one might be suffering from musical obsessions.

Luckily, this is being more recognized, and there are many ways that this can be addressed (Some practical steps and / or medications).

If you think you are suffering from this condition, it might be a good idea to see a doctor (General practitioner or psychiatrist), or a cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) therapist

Hope that helps

My sister has a complaint of recurrent and persistent musical tunes in her head. The music is  coming from inside the head she does not actually hear them, they are replayed like a song stuck in her head. It is like her inner voice. The music includes popular songs, commercial jingles and well-known melodies. It is like a broken tape recorder repeatedly producing the same songs and music all day long. The sounds are product of her  mind she is in despair. she cant focus,sleep or study. None of SSRIs  and antipsychotics worked so far. she has no hearing loss. We could not find solution.

Is there anyone who knows about this illness? any natural solution?

Please let me know.