Neurology Community
heaviness in torso and legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

heaviness in torso and legs

with the symptoms of heavy, weighty feeling in my torso and legs, i had an mri.  initially, i was diagnosed with ms, which was later retracted.  the brain lesions are attributed to mini-strokes - microvascular ischemic disease- that i apparently experienced some years ago.  i am seen at the va and they are suggesting physical therapy to gain strength because there is no neurological reason they can find for the heaviness.  audiology could find no reason to explain the accompanying vertigo.

i have these symptoms when walking or moving around;  my legs feel so heavy it's almost as if they are encased in weights.  my torso also feels extremely heavy.  when sitting or prone, i do not experience the heaviness.

my life has changed drastically because of this and restricts almost everything i do - or used to be able to do.  i know that physical therapy won't hurt but it isn't anything that is going to actually treat the underlying illness or condition. until someone can diagnose what the problem is, i could get worse without addressing and treating it.

i would appreciate any information, suggestions, ideas or avenues i can persue to determine what this could be and what i need to do to get back to good health so i can get on with my life.  thank you.
Hi there,
I too have been diagnosed with mild ms but was told there was a slight chance it could be devics disease as it mimics ms.NMO antibodies is a blood test that can determine this ,it's amazing how most of the medical field have never heard of this condition,but it's worth a try ask your doctor to take a blood test for neuro mylitis optica antibodies.Wishing you well and keep us informed.
Hilary
thanks so much for the information - I will definitely get in touch with my doc and request the test.  She has me "referred" for a Doppler scan to see if it could be heart/vascular problems.  Now the waiting game to schedule the appointment; most appts are about four months out.

I will continue to search for solutions and will update if anything happens.  

I'm so pleased I found this board!

again, thanks!