Neurology Community
help for stuttering in dystonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

help for stuttering in dystonia

I have stuttered since age 4.  My parents have spent a fortune on speech therapist, speech camps, speech devices, online programs, medications, accupuncture and expensive vitamins and massages for me.  I am 26 years old and stutter.  Is there a neurologist who knows anything about this subject.  The speech therapist are no help.. I do not want to be totally drugged with benzos or haldo either.  I want a neurologist who can help find the answer or get tell me if pagaclone will help.
thanks   Tina
http://powerstuttering.com/faq.htm

I am not a physician, but the above is a link to one of the more recently marketed devices that you put in your ear and it reduces or stops stuttering.  It was invented by a man who stutters, and it combines two of the ways of electronically modifying stuttering, and I've seen it or one like it demonstrated on a TV talk show.  Criticisms, which I found on a wikipedia website about anti-stuttering electronic devices, include reports that effectiveness wears off after six months to where 50 percent of users go back to stuttering, and also that it is not 100 percent effective, with noisy places being one of the problems.  But I just remember how miraculous it was on TV when this stuttering man had it in his ear and talked with everyone regular, but when he took it out, he went right into some pretty severe stuttering.

Couple more items, you had "dystonia" in your title, so if tight muscles are part of your equation, could be muscle relaxers or meds for dystonia people might help out, in addition to the electronic ear device.  Also, some psychiatrists have theories about stuttering patients have unresolved home problems, so you could visit one of those people to see if there's anything to it, but my understanding is there are specific altered parts of the brain that cause this, in which case a psychological reason would be baseless.