Neurology Expert Forum
help understanding eeg report

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

help understanding eeg report

I am a 24 year old female and on 3000mg keppra during a routine awake 20min eeg test.
i was started on anticonvulsants after several witnessed tonic clonic seizures and have symptoms thought to be due to partial seizures eg burning smell and rising feeling etc
report
Muscle artifact contaminates anteriorly.There is a responsive symmetrical 8-10Hz alpha rhythm around 30uVpp which is initially poorly formed and intermittent. Fair amounts of similar scattered theta activity are intermixed and low voltage diffuse beta activity is superimposed. Is this normal?

Frequently transient theta and 2-3Hz delta activity arises over one or both centro-temporal areas more on the right sometimes with a sharper outline upto 60uVpp.

Drowsiness caused an attenuation of the alpha rhythm and enhanced slower rhythms, sharp wave stands out over both temporal regions at 90uVpp.(I was not aware of being drowsy or feel sleepy)

Photic stimulation at 1-50Hz showed a symmetric following/driving response at lower flash frequencies. Does this mean i am or not photosensitive?

Please can you help me understand this report in simple terms.
Is the frequent transient theta and delta activity and sharp wave in the temporal area seen in partial epilepsy?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

First of all, you should discuss the results with the neurologist who read the EEG. Reading EEG is an art.

It is normal to have an alpha rhythm and beta rhythm. Slower frequencies such as theta can be seen in drowsiness, post seizure, etc.

I would be suspicious though of the sharp wave and delta waves in the temporal region being epileptic given your semiology you describe.

Again, I suggest you discuss the results with your neurologist.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.