Neurology Expert Forum
hemangioma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hemangioma

A friend had auto accident and his doctor ordered thoracic spine mri. This is what says on his report "The vertebral height and marrow signal are maintained.There is an hemangioma in the midthoracic vertebral body which is an incidental finding.There is no evidence of a disk protrusion or extrusion.The thoracic cord is normal. There is no canal compromise.IMPRESSION:Normal thoracic spine MRI."  What is hemangioma in the midthoracic vertebral body and is this life threating disease?Is hemangioma in the midthoracic vertebral body considered lytic lesion?What causes hemangioma and does it stay for rest of life once person gets it?Usually when does hemagioma need surgical intervention?How can thoracic spine MRI be normal when there is hemagioma in midthoracic vertebral body?Thank you.
A vertebral hemangioma is a very slow growing BENIGN tumor within the bony vertebra (NOT the spinal cord)made up of blood vessels. They are found in 10-12% of all autopsies and are the most common benign spinal tumor. Most patients are asymptomatic and it's just an "incidental finding" on MRI, which means there is absolutely no clinical significance to them. In simpler terms, most of the people who have them don't know it and go through their whole lives without any problems from the hemangioma. It's not a lytic lesion and it doesn't go away. In instances when the hemangioma extends past the bony vertebra or there is some kind of trauma that causes a compression fracture of the vertebra, there may be symptoms such as back pain due to hemorrhage. Pregnancy also can exacerbate pain. Treatment depends on extent of hemorrhage and growth and degree of neurological symptoms.
Hey--I have known about my hemagioma for quite some time without much growth.  When I asked the neurosurgeon about it--he made a joke about it and DEFINITELY did not give a good answer too it at all.  The explaination that the neruo gave here is really informative--too bad my neurosurgeon doesn't have the tac too speak with people also--would make worrying that much less.
I, too have have 2 fairly good sized hemangiomas on my lumbar spine.  I have seen 1 Neuro, 1 PM Dr., 2 Neurosurgeons, (in relation to stenosis and a synovial cyst on lumbar spine).  None of them have said a word about the hemangiomas.  I saw it on my MRI report and investigated it on my own.

So, far, I have seen nothing to worry me about them, but this post by the Dr. was a very good explanation about them.
I do truly belive I am having SOME symptoms from them, as well as the other problems.

I think I will mention it to my NS who is going to do my surgery and see what he says.

Donna
On this person thoracic spine MRI says "There is an hemagioma in te midthoracic vertebral body  which is an incidental finding", but does not say abaut the size of hemangioma.What size(hemangioma) is considered small, medium and large? How often do you check for growth and with what tests?Thank you
ON my mri they said I had a hemangimoa or a interossoues cyst and my back hurts in the area were it is at what is the treament for it.
I am a female, 49, up until 3 weeks ago everything was pretty much great.  I started running into the walls or walking into walls and thought i had sinus pressure when one morning it was worse and along with my balance being off, i also had pain from the top of my head, down my neck and into my shoulder.  went to my doctor that afternoon, and he put me into the hospital to run tests.  
X-ray's, blood tests and mri's.  The next evening he come's into the hospital room and sit's accross from me and tells me they have found a spot on my mri and that i have either had a stroke recently or it could be cancer.  The placement of the spot coincides with the problems I am having walking.  It is at the left base near my brain stem. The mri report says it may be a
cavernous hemangioma also possible atypical multiple sclerotic lesion. The thing is do I get to choose?  So simple.
I am to see the neurologist this week, he was waiting for a lengthy blood test to get back to him.  My doctor wants the neurologist to run a petscan. Will this let me know anything?
They are treating me for a stroke, with aggrenox to thin blood.
My symptoms are still very much present and some days they are worse than others.  I was just leaning towards the right, and now
I find the left and right are equally challanging. I walk like I am drunk and have to concentrate to walk and have lost my confidence in my driving also.  I am still working and want to only find out what is going on so I can get it fixed.
A related discussion, spinal hemangiomas was started.
A related discussion, Spinal hemangioma pain was started.
A related discussion, what type of excersice is good was started.
A related discussion, burning pain was started.
A related discussion, Vertebral Hemangiomas was started.