Neurology Expert Forum
high blood pressure in head?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

high blood pressure in head?

I have had this constant feeling like something is going to rupture deep inside my head (no specific area, seems like the dead center of my head), and tension across my forehead.    

However a nurse I know told me that when you hold your breath the blood pressure in your head drops.  This makes sense because if I hold my breath, I get lightheaded and the tension and pressure ease up a whole lot.  Also when I hold my nose and blow air into my ears, the pressure eases up alot too.    

It's almost like, the blood is not exiting my head fast enough and is getting backed up in my brain and causing there to be high BP but just in my head.   That's what it FEELS like to me...could be something else too.

I have allready had an MRI and MRA scan both of my brain and neck...and my blood pressure is typically 130/80...not high enough to cause such dramatic symptoms... so I ask, can there be something that causes high BP just in the head, similar to pulmonary hypertension? (which is undetectable to a BP arm cuff).    

How can this be proven or not?   If it was high BP would the headache get alot worse when exercising or might it stay the same?  would it probably be pulsating or not?  Would a diuretic help?  If a tumor was causing a localized compression of a blood vessel, would the pain just be in that specific area or would it also be felt  all over the head?    

thank you for your input..
1) high pressure in the head can occur when the spinal fluid flow is blocked by a tumor, hematoma etc. The ventricle fluid spaces of the brain can enlarge and if severe enough the person can die from compression of the brain stem . The way to tell is by doing a lumbar puncture and ,easuring the opening and closing pressures.

3) primary headaches usually get worse with activitiy, shoulf be avoided if the pain is severe enough.

4) pulsating headache is more frequently associated with migraine, but may occur in other hadeaches also.

5) A diueretc generally will not help, although acetazolamide is often presribed for high pressure fluid realted headaches.

6) pain can be referred from meningeal arteries etc to the so this is possible

Good luck
If it is blood pressure that is causing this, yes when excersizing it would get worse. The same things been happening to me and also when i pop my ears i get lightheaded and actually feels better. I dont think the tension in my forhead isn't linked to blood pressure i think its cause of my nasal congestion. Do you happen to have a cold or are clogged at all?

I'm curious about this too---sometimes I can feel a profound pulsing sensation in my head.
There is a disease called Intracranial Hypertension.  Also known as pseudotumor cerebri.  It is a rare disease, but those who suffer from it often complain of a pressure type headache.  It has more to do with the build up of csf, causing pressure in your skull.  Most will have a normal MRI and CT.  A good eye exam and spinal tap would be needed for diagnosis.
Good luck.
Ok....came across this site while looking for causes of symptoms I"ve been having lately.

About 3 months ago, I experienced my very first anxiety attack.  It was at night, sitting calmly in bed, watching tv.  Since then, I've noticed I've had increasing "dizzy spells".  These happen when either sitting or standing (such as standing rinsing dishes at the sink).  Along with these, for the past month Ive noticed a feeling of "swoosh, swoosh, swoosh" like I can feel/hear by blood pressure in my head.  This is happenning only on the left side of my head.  I never feel it on the right or through my whole head.

I had high cholesterol 18 months ago, it was total 230.  I just had my blood drawn this week for a second look.

I am only 32.  I do have a long, since I was 15 or so, history of headaches and migraines.  I quit my job almost 3 years ago, due to stress, and now stay at home.  When I left, my headaches subsided and I didn't have as many migraines..in fact I've only had 2 since that time.  They have been recent though, over the past few months.

I do not have any anxiety sitiuations in my life, other than every day stuff.  My marriage is good, we're planning a vacation for next month, my kids are great, finances are good.  Life is getting easier.

Any ideas out there?  I'm making an appt with my doc, but it will take a while for me to get in.

Thanks!
Go see a neurologist and explain what your feeling and they will send you for an mri.
A related discussion, Blood pressure in head? was started.
A related discussion, What might be causing this? was started.