Neurology Expert Forum
high signal intensity throughout entirty of T1 vertebral

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What does this mean please explain:

MRI finds are: there is high signal intensity throught out the entierty of the T1 vertebral body on the T2 sequence.  This appears as slightly hypointense in the posterior aspect of the T1 vertebral body on the T1 sequence. There is normal signal intensity of the spineal cord. There is no tonsillar ectopia.

From the axial sequences, there is a mild C5-6 left paracentral bulde with slight mass effect on the underlying cord. C6-7 and C7-T1 are unremarkable.

Please keep in mind that I have not personally reviewed your films and can only "interpret" the info as provided.  The gist of it is that everything seems to be normal except for a little disc bulge in the neck at the level of the 5th and 6th cervical vertebra that may be pushing onto the spinal cord. Otherwise everything looks ok.

As for the specifics: the high signal intensity just means that the vertebral body or back bone looked bright.  Now the sequence or form of imaging is very important in interpreting the film, so I'm basing my opinion on your report that it is a T2 sequence not T1.  But it appears that your first thoracic vertebra which is in your mid back is bright on this particular sequence which could mean a number of things, depending on your age, clinical history, and appearance of other vertebra.  Infection, compression fracture, degenerative disc disease, and radiation changes can all produce brightness on a T2 sequence. If you're asymptomatic and the rest of your MRI is ok, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  However, if the problem appears to correlate with the imaging finding, then you may need to discuss this further with your docs. Good luck.