Neurology Community
iS MY SHUNT MALFUCTIONING

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

iS MY SHUNT MALFUCTIONING

5857597?1277949588
Twelve days after having a second shunt placed on the right side as well as the left side too I fell and landed right on the one on the left.  Two days later my feet had swollen up and I went to the doctor.  They ran all kinds of tests including an ultra sound of my legs to see if I had a blood clot.  Well there was no clot and all my blood work came back all good.  I had a shunt function test on the one on the left and the isotope went through.  I'm pretty sure the one on the right is not working at all.  Friday I'm going up to UCSF where they will preform a shunt function test to see if its working.  My feet are swollen real bad could that indicate shunt malfunction of the shunt on the right??
Tags: shunt
Hello, Thank you for your question. If you have continuous symptoms like that, possible causes may be shunt is either under-draining or over-draining. Your doctor can assess this with a lumbar puncture and measures the fluid pressure. He/She may make some adjustment of the shunt to allow it to drain more and can monitor if the symptoms improves. Another possibility could be shunt is over-draining, that may lead to low CSF pressure that can also lead to headache. This may improve when the person lies down and gets worse when the person sits or stands. Other possibility could be any circulatory disorder related to heart condition or blood vessel disorder. As you are suffering from continuous symptoms, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of her headaches and can suggest her appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.