Neurology Expert Forum
inflamed nerve in foot

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

inflamed nerve in foot

for the past 5 months i have been fighting pain and swelling in my left foot, with a sore spot at the middle toe. i have had three cortizone and nerve block shots injected at this site.  the first two shots helped with the swelling being gone the next day, however the last shot two weeks ago hasn't helped the pain at all. the swelling has stayed down.  i also have fibromyalgia syndrone.   i fell maybe this may be connected as in the past i have had plantar faciaitis in the other foot, and other inflamatory illness, i have been tested for lupus but didn;t get a definate yes or no. i also have inflamation (inflammation) of the pelvis and was tested for anklelosing spondelitis with a negative to this.  the x-ray of my foot only showed a cloudy area about the size of a quarter. my present meds are flexoril 10mg hs, ziac7.5 qd, clonidine.03 hs ,pepsid ac 2x d,and aspirin 6 to 12 per day.  what else can i do or where else can i turn to for some help to my problem or is this another pain to learn to live with? thanks for any help you can give.
===================
Dear Deborah,
thanks for the question.
It would be difficult to give you a diagnosis on this forum without examining your foot. However, one condition comes to mind. Morton's neuroma,
which really is not a neuroma (tumor of the nerve sheath), but rather an inflammed soft tissue, most commonly in the third toe. The classic symptom is foot pain, especially with shoes on, and upon walking or standing too long. The pain is better after the shoes is taken off and the foot massaged.
Of course plantar fasciitis is a possibility along with foot deformities, or ill fitted shoes. I supposed you have seen a podiatrist. An MRI of the foot may show Morton's neuroma. Good luck and I hope the above information helps.