Neurology Community
inflamed nerves

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

inflamed nerves

I came across this forum looking for hemangiomas.  I found it very interesting and also very nice to talk to people who might be experiencing the same thing.

My question is:  What does inflamed nerves in both legs mean (what can be causing the issue) I have extreme pain in my legs particularly the calves with stabbing, burning pain.  There was a 12mm T2 hyperintense lesion found within the L3 verebral body on the right. They stated that this was most likely an atypical hemangioma. I am currently undergoing faucet joint injections in my lower back.  Is this lesion something to be concerned about and what further tests should be done if any?

I also have tingling and numbness of the arms and hands as well.  I will be going to see a neurologist on the 24th of November. Is there any specific questions I should ask him?

Thank you for your time,

Donna

Thanks for writing in.
Inflamed nerves can occur due to variety of reasons. Nerves can get inflamed after compression. Nerve compression can occur due to a slipped disc or disc herniation, arthritis of the spine, traumatic injury to the nerve. The nerve can get inflamed on being compressed by an abscess, tumor, hemorrhage or a hemangioma.
Hemangiomas are benign tumors of the spine and may be asymptomatic. They occur commonly in thoracic and lumbar spine and can produce symptoms of nerve compression if large enough to compress a nerve. The treatment options are radiation, pain therapy and surgery.
Hi Dr. Noopur,

Thank you for your time.  So am I to assume that my hemangioma is causing my pain in the calves and leg due to the inflamed nerves in both legs?  I am currently undergoing Faucet Joint Injections in my low back on a few arthritic areas as well.  When I try to stop the pain medications, the pain comes back with full force.  I see a neurologist in regards to this matter later in the month. I would however like your opinion as to what I should expect from him. I know that my regular doctor said that removal of hemangiomas is risky due to bleeding, is this correct?  I am also assuming that radiation is used to shrink the hemangioma, correct?  Is there any specific questions that I should ask when I go and see the doctor?

Again, thank you so much for your time.

Donna
***@****
Hi - inflamed nerves can also be due to muscle tension. Consult a good Chinese or Japanese therapist - message and acupuncture. Acupuncture is use to stimulate (rejuvinate) muscles. Once tension is reduced, blood can flow in the muscles again, clensing them of trapped uric acid. An electrical charge can be put on a needle causing the muscles to contract (exercise) at a deep level. A good Chinese doctor will create a special herbal tea for you which also loosens and nurishes muscles without the aftereffects of pharmaceutical muscle relaxants.  Also, regularly have therapeutic messages. Examine your furniture to determine where you have pressure points. Move around more; reduce the amount of sitting you do. If you do sit a lot, make sure your arms are supported.

Don't do stretching exercises until your muscle tension is evaluated. If your muscles are knotted, stretching will hurt your muscles, rather than cure them.

Karen, www.littleviews.com