inner thigh severe pain
Over the last 6 months I have had 4 episodes or very severe pain in upper inner thigh area. The onset is sudden and the pain is as bad as childbirth. [Only thing I can compare it to.]
It lasts between 5 - 10 mins, and although described a a cramp, it is infinitely worse. I feel sick after the pain subsides.
No lingering pain once it subsides.
Always has happened when sitting or lying down and 3 times late evening, once early morning.
I have read on your site others describe a similar thing.
Never had it before and first time I honestly thought it was a clot. Very frightening.
Any advice or ideas?
I am 58 female and in good health, although history of kidney stones.
PS The pain with the stones was not anything in comparison to this pain.
Did you rule these out as the cause of your sudden thigh pain?
The area you describe is dermatome for L-1 or so to L-3. Have you had a back injury recently, or even in past?  The pain from any nerve compression (like with herniated/bulging disc, osteophytes from arthritis causing  narrowing of foramina pressing on particular radicular nerve) etc is indeed excruciating, especially at night. I should know--every disc in my back is herniated or bulging, and the pain you described is identical to some of mine. It is narcotic-worthy. And, it will pass most likely unless it has become chronic.. Oh, also, most docs would prescribe gabapentin, an anticonvulsant that  has been found to aid most types of neuropathy. If that's what is actually going on. In any event, please see a neurologist