Neurology Expert Forum
involuntary eye movement

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

involuntary eye movement

In the past couple of years I have had this happen to me about five time. First I get light headed then my eyes will start moving up and down on thier own and I have to grab a hold of something beacause I get dizzy. This goes on for a minute or so then stops. When its over my eyes will hurt and are sensitive to light. I also get a headache right after and this eye movement makes me sick to my stomach. Do you know what might cause this? It scares me and make me cry.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on the exact cause of your symptoms. however, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

When I hear of eye symptoms followed by headache, one possible diagnosis that comes to mind is a migraine disorder. Migraine headaches are often preceded by eye symptoms. Eye symptoms may include transient vision loss, flashes of light in the peripheral visual field, difficulty moving the eyes (opthalmoplegic migraine) or other similar symptoms lasting usually 30 minutes or less. Headache may or may not begin within 60 minutes and is often one-sided, throbbing, and may be associated with nausea, vomitting, and light-sensitivty. There may be certain triggers such as certain foods, wine, sleep deprivation or excess sleep, and many women experience migraines around their periods.

Migraines have specific treatments, some to prevent the migraines if they occur frequently, and others to be taken at the very beginning of the headache to abort it (abortive therapy).

There are other possible causes to your symptoms, however, with the limited description given above and without being able to obtain a history/exam, the differential diagnosis is very broad. I recommend you discuss your symptoms with a general practioner/family physician, after he she examines you and obtains a history, treatment recommendations can be made with referral to a neurologist as indicated.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.