Neurology Expert Forum
involuntary mouth tics

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

involuntary mouth tics

I have involuntary facial tics. They are unattractive mouth/lip grimacing and twich of the lips.
a brain scan concluded there is no physical basis. There is no Tourette's nor other illnesses which could cause these tics.
I cannot take the regular dose of clonidine due to severe sleepiness during the day when at work.
My neuologist and I for now closed my file/case.

However, I recently have read that botox can be an effecitve treatment for facial tics. Please provide some information on the possible or past effectiveness of botox injections for facial tics.
for some reason, the neurologist never brought up the topic of botox as a treatment option.
Nonetheless, I am very interested in considering the botox injections. What is the history and effectiveness, side effects of injections for  this condition? Thank you,
I want relief from these tics. They are exhausting.
Tags: tic
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

BoTox is frequently used to treat a condition called hemifacial spasm. This injection can provide palliative relief, but does not completely resolve the condition. The effect may last 3-4 months. It is unclear what long term effects of BoTox will do. The main side effect is weakness of the muscles that are injected.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Might the symptoms be classified as Tardive dyskinesia? Tardive dyskinesia is where you have repetitive, involuntary, purposeless movements, such as grimacing, tongue protrusion, lip smacking, puckering and pursing of the lips, or rapid eye blinking.  Does this sound like what you have?