Neurology Community
involuntary muscle cramping

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

involuntary muscle cramping

my muscles cramp every day from my fingers to my tongue to my thighs and calves and toes and feet. its very painful especially when im just sitting in a chair doing nothing or sleeping only to wake up to a major leg cramp. i drink lots of water, and i even take potassium . but this has been going on for years now and its getting worse. i have high blood pressure, cirrosis (cirrhosis) of my liver and i dont drink. but i used to. what can i do to stop the cramping. please help.
Try vitamin B1. I works like magic for me. 100 mg. should do it, but start with a larger dose. Actually I only take it now when I get a cramp (though I should take it more regularly). For a quick effect, open the capsule and drop the contents into your mouth. Then take a drink of water. It works much faster that way.
Avatar n tn
Hi there,

Google and read everything you can on magnesuim! This is a natural muscle relaxer and I started taking it for my heart years ago, better than being put on heart meds...I now take it on regular basis usually mixed with Vitamin D for good absorption. We start depleting our magnesuim bank as children with all that we are exposed to and put in our bodies. You may just take care of some of the other issues you are dealing with as well...I take it on a regular basis for my cramping and bad back as well. It is win win for your body. A regular walking regiment can help, especially if you have nerve compression from bad back.
Avatar n tn
Hi,  I too am having similar spasams, and when it reaches face and tongue, it obviously is more scary.  I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and arthritis - so taking Magnesium hopefully will help.  Can you tell me have you began to take this,  as I already take calcium and vit B's.  Just looking to self help now - as GP's dont always have the answer - look forward to your reply.  
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. Cramps can be due to various reasons like injury to the bone, vigorous activity, nocturnal cramps, dehydration, body fluid shifts like in therapies like dialysis, low calcium, magnesium and potassium levels, and tetany. One could also have dystonic cramps affecting small group of muscles like eyelids, neck, larynx, the writer’s cramps, but these are less frequent than true cramps. Vitamin deficiencies like B1, B5 and B6, and claudicating pain due to poor circulation are other reasons for cramps. You need to consult a physician for adequate assessment and relevant therapy. Hope this helps. Take care.