is it possible for icp headaches after a VA SHUNT placement
I am a 30yr old female who was diagnosed with psedotumor cerecril without palpademia until last month when i started loosing my vision. i've had two LP shunts placed that had to be removed due to severe abdominal pain. I recently had a RIGHT VENTRICULO-ATRIAL SHUNT PLACED. and noticed how great i felt after surgery for about a wekk i was energized and felt like my old self again, then i started to get headaches with a stiff neck back pains nausea and again headaches that wakes me up at wee hours of the morning like they did prior to the shunt placement. they tapped to make sure i had no infection but refused to check the pressure. Is it possible to still get icp headaches after a va shunt placement?
Hi there. The possibility of post shunt headaches is present since the shunt may get blocked at either the distal or the proximal end and obstruct the cerebrospinal fluid outflow. This can cause raised intracranial pressure and subsequent headaches, nausea and vomiting and blurred vision. Consult your neurosurgeon for an immediate review of symptoms and MRI brain and atrium to check the patency of the shunt. A re exploration is indicated on an emergency basis if this is detected. Hope this helps. Take care.
ZEC
I just wondered on to this site and read your question and Dr.'s comment. I too had a VA shunt placed in May of this year following several LP revisions followed by a serious infection and removal of the LP shunt. So far the VA shunt is working as hoped though I am experiencing ringing in the right ear (the side of shunt placement).  I also suffer from migraine headaches and I was curious if you did as well.  I do hope things are improving for you.

TD