Neurology Expert Forum
is my epilepsy returning?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

is my epilepsy returning?

ok so i had a a sezure, 3 weeks ago. thay did some test cat scan normal, mir normal, tilt test postive beacuse i almost fainted. the doctors at the toledo hosp. say i fainted it brought my blood pressure low and that caused my sezure. i aslo had a eeg but did not get the results yet. i had epilepsy as a child. i was medicated w/ tagertall for about 2 and 1/2 years.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information

It sounds like you had an episode of fainting a few weeks ago, and there is concern as to whether or not the episode was a seizure or a syncopal episode due to another cause. When convulsions are associated with an episode of loss of consciousness, the possibilities are that it was a seizure, or that the convulsions were not epileptic but rather a manifestation of the syncope (called convulsive syncope). A less common occurrence is an epileptic seizure triggered by a syncopal episode due to whatever cause. In the setting of an abnormal tilt table test, syncope becomes the more likely cause of your episode though again I could not say definitively, and if convulsions were noted, they may have just been related to the syncope rather than having been epileptic.
The autonomic nervous system us the part of the nervous system that regulates blood pressure and heart rate, and an abnormal tilt table test sometimes indicates dysfunction in the autonomic nervous system.

If these episodes recur, one means of determining whether or not the episodes are seizures vs. syncope (or seizures precipitated by syncope) is to do an EEG during an actual episode, which often requires admission into an inpatient epilepsy monitoring unit to capture the events.

Your childhood epilepsy may or may not be related to your current episode. A certain amount of people who had epilepsy in childhood may be seizure free for sometime and then have their seizures recur. However, some may be seizure free for life. Continued followup with your neurologist is recommended for further evaluation of your episodes and investigation of any autonomic dysfunction you might have if your tilt table was abnormal, in addition to the cause of your episode of near-fainting Work up by a cardiologist to ensure the episode was not due to cardiac causes is recommended as well.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.