Neurology Community
is the wetness in my ear CSF ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

is the wetness in my ear CSF ?

10 days ago i fell backwards down my stairs and cracked my head on the marble floor. I went to the ER and spent 3 days in the hospital once it was discovered that i had multiple fractures and two minor hemorrhages. The main concern was the fracture to my temporal bone. I have also broken my ear drum. I am now home and despite being on painkillers i still have major pain in my ear and the parts of my head that hit the floor. I have bruising behind my right ear and its cloggy as if i need to equalize it (this is the ear with the perforated ear drum). There is wetness inside the ear and i cant tell if its CSF or just wax.
How can i tell the difference ? it isn't dripping out but it is damp inside and not sticky like wax. please help, i dont want to concern my parents or go to the hospital for no reason. Thank you so much
Tags: Pain, Ear, csf, wetness, head
Avatar dr f tn
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. You need to consult an otolaryngologist since you have a perforated eardrum and pain in the affected ear. You need to be checked for any otitis media or auditory canal infection if the discharge is like pus. You don’t have any inner ear symptoms of vertigo or ringing in the ear. A neurologist needs to assess the function for any cranial nerve deficits since there is a history of skull trauma and temporal bone fracture. The doctor would also send the ear discharge for specifically checking for glucose and beta2 transferrin, which is found in csf. Treatment would depend on the diagnosis. Wishing you all the best.