Neurology Expert Forum
is there a link between bipolar disorder and infantile seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Infantile seizures are of many types; they are seizures occuring infancy, in the first year of life beyond the neonatal period. They may include infantile spasms, a specific type of seizures, or several other type of seizures can occur in infancy. To my knowledge, there is not a direct link between bipolar disorder and infantile seizures specifically.

However, there is a link between bipolar disorder and epilepsy in general. People with epilepsy are more likely to have bipolar disorder than the general population. Also, the mechanisms that cause epilepsy and bipolar disorder are similar in some respects (neurobiologically, on the chemical and structural level in the brain). Epilepsy and bipolar disorder are both episodic, meaning they are marked by attacks of some sort of sign or symptom, followed by periods in which no symptoms are occurring. The treatments for epilepsy and bipolar disorder are similar, in the sense that the same medications that treat seizures, such as valproic acid and lamotrigine, have also been shown to have mood stabilizing properties, and are thus used in bipolar disorder.

In children with epilepsy, such as children with a history of infantile seizures, the diagnosis of bipolar disorder by strict criteria may not be met, however such children often have behavioral problems analogous to adult bipolar disorder.

It is important to note however that while bipolar disorder is more common in patients with epilepsy than the general population, sometimes the symptoms caused by epilepsy can be misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder, so the two should be distinguished between.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful good luck