ischemic microvascular brain disease
hi,
i have had a cranial mri which reveals scattered punctate hyperintese foci of T2, signalling abnormality consistent with ischemic microvascular disease.  i'm waiting to neuropsychological testing to better define cognitive defects and see if there may be a correlation between them and the mri findings.  i have difficulty with my gait and balance (falling), memory, swallowing, understanding language and being able to find the right word when speaking.  i have tingling in my hands and feet and a constant sound in my ears, and some head aches.  could anyone please help me understand what the mri reveals?  i'm only 54 and suddenly i can't take care of my home, have difficulty at work and can't even go grocery shopping.  my insurance won't pay for all the test so the neuropsych won't see me unless i pay up front. any insight anyone can give is much appreciated.
thanks!
j
Hi, Thank you for your question. In white matter disease or microvesicular ischemic disease of brain, pathology is associated with the brain white matter, either exclusively or in combination with grey matter changes. It occurs due to metabolism errors, exogenous toxins released by virus, autoimmune disease, leukodystrophy, demyelination, and radiation effects. Spasticity, muscle weakness, paralysis, hyper-reflexia and movement disorder may be the clinical features associated with white matter disease that need to be evaluated thoroughly. However, it is sad to say that there is no permanent cure but conservative treatment & physiotherapy exercises that would help you to regain your normal function and stopping the further progression of the disease. Please consult a neurologist in this regards. Hope this helps.

thank you for your response. it was very helpful.   i have another appointment with a neurologist but it is not until january.  can you please give me any idea what conservative treatment might look like?  thank you.