Neurology Expert Forum
jaw pain followed by numbness leftside of face

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My seventeen year old daughter was complaining of her jaw area on the left side of her face was hurting, thought maybe it was dental took her to the dentist they cleaned her teeth and said next visit they'd do a panoramic xray to see if it was her wisdom teeth, the following week her cheek and tongue became numb or didn't feel the same as her right side took her to peditrician they took did blood work for mumps which came back negative, she did have more fullness in left cheek, went back to dentist on exam didn't feel it was the wisdom teeth but agreed with peditrician and put her on amoxicillian which made the pain go away for the most part and she felt like her tongue was no longer numb, but her face was still numb so we saw the oral surgeon who informed us that the numbness was not caused by her wisdom teeth to consult with a neurologist which I did, he did a neurolgical exam I guess and said he didn't know what caused it and it might go away on its on or may stay that way forever he didnt do any other test I should note that the numbness or feeling different goes all the way up to her forehead on the left side
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Facial numbness can be the result of injury/irritation to the fifth cranial nerve. Common causes of facial numbness are dental and trauma. It sounds like these have been evaluated. Other causes include herpes infection, trigeminal neuropathy (idiopathic), and possibly an intracranial tumor, such as a meningioma. There are other causes such as multiple sclerosis and rheumatological conditions, but these are less common.

It would be recommended for your daughter to continue following up her neurologist. It may be worthwhile to have an MRI of the brain to further evaluate.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

A related discussion, sore jaw n numbness was started.