Neurology Community
l5-s1 fusion with decompression why can't walk without being bent ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

l5-s1 fusion with decompression why can't walk without being bent over

When I spoke to my surgeon I told him that I am bent over and he said well it will reach a point won't proceed any further.  I told him I don't want to walk bent over and he said he could do a L5-S1 and that should correct it.  I had the surgery and it has been 5 and half months and I am worse now than before surgery.  I have pain in my lower back when standing and forcing myself to stand straight.  I can't comb my hair standing, I can't hold my hands out in front of my body or raise them above my head while standing. I literally cannot do any work above my head unless I can find support with my hand to pull my trunk up.  I am so frustrated..  I went back to see my surgeon and he said he didn't know what was going on.  I asked what nerves control the trunk he said he didn't know.  I have not found anyone who has had my symptoms i.e., being bent over after surgery.  I feel my condition must be related to nerve innervation to the muscles but I don't know.  I need to find someone who would possibly know the condition and how to treat it.  Yes I am in rehab.  
Tony
Do u have spondylolisthesis? Sounds like u need to find another dr, one who knows a thing or two bout spines and spinal surgery. So sorry ur dealing with this, id recommend seeking at least 1 or 2 more different dr opinions. Plz keep me posted and good luck!!!!
Hi, Thank you very much for your question; although it is quite hard for me to give you a precise opinion here without being able to examine you, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

It sounds like a slipped disc condition even after surgery. In slipped disc or disc prolapse conditions symptoms may originate due to nerve root pressure, pressure on the spinal cord and pressure on the tail bone. Common symptoms could be paralysis of muscles, pain radiating to the arms or legs (difficult to perform overhead activity), leg pain and numbness, tingling, or weakness. Warning symptoms can include loss of control of the bladder function, paralysis & spasticity of both the legs. Since you are suffering continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in left leg, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this helps. Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!

Thank you for your response.  I have just made an appointment to see a physician at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, AZ.  I am presently getting pool therapy 3 days a week.  My physical therapist Aldo believes that there is impingement on a nerve in the lumbar region.  Thank you again for your response and I will keep you updated on my future diagnoses and treatment.