lack of oxygen to the brain
Please, I need an answer. Four days ago everything was fine, my husband and I went out for dinner to celebrate a great medical exam two days before. The following day my world collapsed. He changed into someone I don't know. He looks and acts like he has had a complete breakdown, babbling, violent, making no sense at all. This resulted in the police being called, ambulance ride and hospital admittance.
The DX is pneumonia in the left lung. Is this possible?  I can't believe all this occured due to pneumonia so I'm pleading with someone to let me know if this is possible. Please help!
Well, if a fever gets high enough, it can be dangerous, a person can really lose it mentally.  Also, pneumonia in a lung, it can slow oxygenation for the body, so if you're worried his brain was oxygen-deprived, ask for a CT scan.  If he is still in the hospital, ask for a psychiatrist consult to come by his room and evaluate him.  It's okay to talk to the attending physician and ask for whatever you think is best for him, and insist if you have to.  I had a doc resist what I wanted, and I kept on the subject, and they relented quickly, and turns out the doc was wrong and I was right.

But I think with his diagnosis, his mental confusion was probably temporary from fever.  Let us know how things go.