laminectomy, discectomy
My husband has been recommended to have this operation done on  L4 L5 by his orthopedic surgeion. Our question is is it standard procedure to have a orthopedic surgeon do this operation or should we seek out a neuro surgeon. My hasbands level of pain is severe and wants the operation ASAP but not if it SHOULD be done by a more specialized MD. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Hi there.

I understand your concern and I'm sorry to hear that your husband is experiencing this kind of pain.  If this is to be undertaken by an orthopedic surgeon, then make sure that he is a specialized SPINE surgeon.  Neurosurgeons can also do this kind of operation however a spine surgeon may do the job more confidently.  Before the operation I also suggest that you discuss at length the possible risks of the operation (since all operations have risks) so that you will be well informed.

I hope the operation will be as uneventful as possible and that your husband can be free of pain asap.  Regards and God bless.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. May God bless you for helping folks like us here.