Neurology Expert Forum
large vertebral hemangioma at the T7 vert. body

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, I am a 31 year old female who has been diagnosed as having a large vertebral hemangioma at the T7 vert. body. The hemangioma completely encompasses the vertebra. The neurol surgeons I've seen say the bone cannot be saved and to treat the pain. (Which has been ongoing for two years) But everyone tells me to take ibuprofen, which is no longer possible as I have developed gastris from taking it. So it seems my question is two fold- Do I consider the pickst surgery to find relief? And not all of my doctor's agree that the hemangioma is the source of my pain even though they have all said its the largest one they seen. What else could it be? My MRI showed no other abnormalities.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Hemangiomas of the vertebrae (i.e., bones of the back encasing the spinal cord) are quite common are usually asymptomatic unless there is vertebral collapse or soft-tissue extension of the hemangioma or compression on nerves or the spinal cord itself.

I cannot comment on whether you need surgery or not. I am not a surgeon and do not have the ability to look at scans. I would recommend that you continue working with your physicians regarding your pain and hemangioma. I would opt for medical therapy before having a surgery. You may be a candidate for chronic pain referral for medication adjustments, local injections, or other therapies. Have you had physical therapy? This may be an option too.

Other sources of pain include arthritis of the joints, muscle spasm, herniated discs, bony destruction, and inflammation to name a few.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Vertebral Hemangiomas was started.