Neurology Community
left foot, tingling around ankle and mid foot?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm a 42 yr old female.
I've have always dealt w/ a bad sciatica on my left side due to a disc flare up. Two years ago when I was exercising - just stretching and walking w/ the best walking shoes I ended up having an incredible shooting pain from my hip to my foot. After some rehab on that last year, I was back to minor aches and pains. But now it's a tingling all around my left foot when I'm in bed (distintly around the ankle and mid foot).  Only when I'm in bed this happens. I'm in good shape, had a bad car accident when I was 12yrs. old. but, no Dr. thinks it's necessary for me to have any kind of surgery (which I don't want), I've been offered an epidural if the pain increased in my hip. I'm confused because this pain doesn't seem related, not the same as when it was from my sciatica.  Could you share if you have an idea about what is causing the tingling.
Tags: left foot
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You need to get an MRI SPINE done to check if the intervertebral discs are ruptured, prolapsed or degenerated causing compression of exiting nerves from the neural foramen. This is the most plausible cause of tingling and numbness in the feet. The therapy includes NSAIDS, acupressure, epidural injection of steroids and finally decompressive surgery. You can also check the integrity of the nerves of lower limb with a NCV or nerve conduction velocity study to rule out traumatic damage to the nerve after exiting from spine possible since you had a road traffic accident. Rule out systemic causes like diabetes, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis and vitamin B complex deficiency which need to be corrected. Hope this helps. Take care.