Neurology Community
left side neck, shoulder, and mid-back problems
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

left side neck, shoulder, and mid-back problems

I'm a 38 year old white female. I've had numbness under my left shoulder blade since I can remember. I get terrible knots in my mid-upper back next to my spine. Sometimes I get spasms. Sometimes my neck locks. Sometimes I get a dull ache down my left arm. Sometimes I get numbness down my arm and into my 5th and 4th fingers. Sometimes spasms will travel down my tricep or I'll get terrible tightness in my jaw and left temple. Unfortunately I have an hmo. Every doctor I've ever tried to talk to about this blows me off or writes me a prescription for muscle relaxers which I refuse to take. I've tried acupuncture, napropathy, and chiropractic which have provided relief but the cause is unknown and my symptoms persist. I work out regularly and try to take good care of myself. I neck locked at 3am the other night. I had an acupuncture session with scraping. I'm a little better but still have considerable difficulty turning my neck. I have shoulder pain and pain in my mid-back next to my spine. Can somebody give me any insight into what is going on? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get a doctor to give me the time of day?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
How are you feeling now?
Any type of tingling, burning, severe pain, or numbness is usually a symptom related to a sensory nerve being damaged, diseased, or injured. The nerve involved appears to be originating from Cervical Vertebrae.
This peripheral nerve pathology can be due to Diabetes, Prediabetes, Vitamin deficiency, and altered blood pressure status, any nutritional deficiency, and abnormal endocrine status, compression of nerve or impingement of nerve at time of exit from Vertebrae.
In your case I feel it is compressive pathology which is causing symptoms.
I think you should consult a physician to evaluate your case.
If required you can get a MRI scan done.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Blank
Hi,
I am feeling better now, thank you. I saw my doctor and she ordered x-rays. She said she thinks the pain in my mid-back my be a mild case of scoliosis. She thinks I may also have a pinched nerve due to a disc problem. My doctor gave me an order for mid-back and neck x-rays and a referral to see an orthopedic doctor. My doctor doesn't think my insurance will approve an mri. I hope to get my x-rays later this week.
Thanks for your insight. I'll definately ask the orthopedic doctor about your theory. Are x-rays likely to show the type of problem you described?  
Thanks again.
Blank
Hi,
X-rays can show bone pathology like decreased joint space or crowding of vertebrae or abnormal pathology of bone. Soft tissue pathology like disc degeneration or herniation or bulging can be made out but without accuracy.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949