Neurology Expert Forum
left side numbness, tingling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

left side numbness, tingling

i had a mini stroke last 8/13/10 when I had a double lung transplant, I had some tingling on whole left side from neck down and heaviness with left arm, I had an mri at that time, and they stated somethng was there, but did not give me any more details. Now its 2011 and i still have the same problems so i consulted a nuerologist and had a MRI done with the following results. Please explain what this means, and if there is any treatment or way to diminisht the problem.

Report says that there is right posterlaterial thalamic lacunar infarct with surrounding gliosis of smalll to meoderate size.

Thank you  Kathy
  • My walking (1 replies):
    I have nuerapothy in my feet but mainly my right one. My...[more]
  • MS-related? (1 replies):
    Can Multiple Sclerosis cause bulging discs?
  • Gabapentin (1 replies):
    I have been taking Gabapentin after taking 600mg every 1...[more]
  • ALS (1 replies):
    My husband was diagnosed with ALS in April 2010. Some pe...[more]
  • numbness (1 replies):
    I've been experiencing numbness in my right side for alm...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

You had a stroke in an area that is important for sensation. The stroke is likely old, as you mentioned, since there is gliosis (i.e, “scarring).

Treatment options will depend on symptomatology. If you have pain, there are neuropathic pain medications (i.e,. gabapentin and pregabalin for example) that are sometimes used.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.