Neurology Community
left vertebral artery 100% occlusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

left vertebral artery 100% occlusion

My left vertebral artery is 100% occluded. I had a stroke in August, and have had several TIAs since. According to my doctor the next stroke I have will kill me. Not a matter of "if", more a matter of "when". My doctor also told me there is no known surgery to correct this. A visit to the hospital also confirmed this. My only option, as far as I know, is to wait to die. This is not something I can sit around and wait for. I believe there is an answer somewhere. Does anybody have any information?
Are you doing anticoagulant therapy?  

Are you seeing an Endovascular specialist?  
I am taking 2 aspirins daily, as directed by my doctor. I am planning to go on Plavix. I have not seen an endovascular specialist, I was told this is something a neurologist deals with because of its proximity to my brain. The neurologist also told me there is no known surgery
You should ask for an Angiogram so docs can see the flow in the right vertebral artery. (A Primary Care Doctor, Neurologist or Neurosurgeon can order this.)

A person can live perfectly fine with one vertebral artery (I had an appt with a vascular neurosurgeon last week andasked that exact question.) With that being said, there are also procedures such as stent placement and angioplasty to "open" the artery.

I would suggest getting an appointment with a vascular (or endovascular) neurosurgeon.

All the best!
Its refreshing to hear that its not the end, but it is so hard not knowing what is to come. The plaque blockage is too close to my brain and there is no surgery available.(according to my doctors) I will consult a vascular neurologist because I refuse to take "no" for an answer. Has your doctor warned you of future strokes?  
I had a future stroke, but it wasn't from any type of plaque formation (It was actually a cavernova that bled...long story.)

You'll be fine. Just take things one step at a time. Finding a good Neurosurgeon is a great move (and if it comes to it, being in TN, Vandy is a great institution). It's good you won't take "no" for an answer, I never have...!

Take care!
I totally agree with ampky.  I think your situation is more suited for a Endovascular Surgeon or a Vascular Surgeon.  I would recommend an Endovascular Surgeon for a second opinion.

I really don't know why you were told "nothing could be done," but I don't know all the particulars of your situation.  Perhaps that hospital and/or physician are not competent with this situations.    

All the best.  

Thank you both for your help. I plan on going to Vanderbilt to see a vascular neurosurgeon there this week. I do not believe my doctor is competent in this area. I will keep you posted!