leg and foot nerve damage
Over a year ago, I had a surgery unrelated to my leg or foot, but awoke from anasthesia with severe pain in my left leg. I have seen neurologists, had EMGs, x-rays, CT scan and MRIs and physical therapy to no avail.  Neither the cause or a repair has been determined.  I believe the left foot drop, pain, tingling, and burning sensation are permanent.  I fear that it will become more problematic over time, and I am already limited in my mobility.  Standing and walking causes increased pain.  My left foot can not step heel to toe.  Is there anything more that I can do to treat the condition?  Is there anything to stimulate the nerves to begin to fire in a productive way?
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. I understand your anxieties and concern. Foot drop can result due to neurological, muscular or anatomic causes. The causes could be peroneal nerve damage due to positioning, long duration of surgery, anesthetic related issues like needle trauma if you received spinal or epidural anesthesia, toxic drugs or hypotension during surgery. The other causes could be retractors and posture during surgery causing ischemic damage. If you had preexisting conditions like diabetic neuropathy, prolapsed intervertebral disc at L5 level, post bariatric surgery. I can understand your ongoing agony. Consult a pain physician; you would be required to undergo blood tests like blood sugar, glycosylated hemoglobin, and ESR, CRP, BUN, creatinine and serum electrophoresis. If analgesics are not relieving pain, you could be given a trial of anticonvulsants for this neuropathic pain and peripheral nerve stimulation could be tried. Lumbar disc herniation needs to be ruled out with an MRI spine. Hope these speculations help. Wish you all the best.