Neurology Community
leg cramp at night

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

leg cramp at night

what is causing my leg cramps at night about every three hours and it takes about 10 minutes to releave them?
     How are you? Nocturnal leg cramps are sudden, involuntary contractions of the calf muscles that occur during the night or while at rest. Occasionally, muscles in the soles of the feet also become cramped. The sensation can last a few seconds or up to 10 minutes, but the soreness may linger. The cramps can affect persons in any age group, but they tend to occur in middle-aged and older populations. Dehydration is one common cause of leg cramps. Potassium and calcium intake are another factor.

For those with mild to moderate symptoms, many physicians suggest certain lifestyle changes and activities to reduce or eliminate symptoms. Increase the intake of water and decreased use of caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco may provide some relief. Physicians may suggest that certain individuals take supplements to correct deficiencies in iron, folate, and magnesium. Taking a hot bath, massaging the legs, or using a heating pad or ice pack can help relieve symptoms in some patients.
Consult a physician if symptoms persist even after making these life style changes.
Best.

I am sixteen, and I get muscle cramps in my legs, every single night.  It varies between different muscles, but it is usually my calf muscles, my quads, and my hamstrings. I was told to eat more bananas to increase my potassium levels.  I take many pills: potassium, calcium, and seven different vitamins, but my cramps are still occuring...
is there a disease that I could possibly have and not know about...?