leg jerks
My husband, age 66, has been having rhythmic (every 7-10 seconds), severe leg jerks while sleeping for several years now.  They are the type as one may have as they are falling asleep.  He is in a very sound sleep, as he doesn't awaken when I try to move him.  He will do this for hours at a time and it doesn't seem to effect him at all, but I can't get to sleep.  He says it feels like a pin sticks him before he gets to sleep.  He took a prescription for restless legs for awhile, but it didn't stop them.
Hi Nons,

You did not mention the medications taken by your husband for 'restless legs syndrome'.
This condition often has a familial basis. The cause is unknown, but the disorder is commonly seen in conditions like, uremic or diabetic neuropathy, primary amyloidosis, pregnancy, or malignancy. Clinical examination is more often normal.

The symptoms may respond to treatment of underlying anemia, or treatment with medication like dopaminergic medication (levodopa, bromocriptine), benzodiazepines (diazepam or clonazepam) or opiates (codiene, or oxycodone).

All the medication mentioned above are prescription drugs and should be taken after consultation with the doctor.
Thanks for the info.  He took Requip, but it didn't seem to help and he didn't like the side effects.  As I mentioned, he doesn't seem affected by the jerks (sometimes it feels like his whole body bounces off the bed); therefore, it is difficult to get him to go back to the doctor.  We recently purchased a tempur-pedic mattress which they advertise that there is no transference of motion!!!  Not true, in our case.  He takes 2 bp meds and a cholesterol med.