Neurology Expert Forum
leg pain after microdiscectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

leg pain after microdiscectomy
I had a microdiscectomy 3 weeks ago at L4/L5 area and i still have some pain in my right leg. It's a little weird that sometimes it feels fine then sometimes when i move it hurts. Sitting and laying down bother it sometimes then others its ok. I was wondering if physical trainging will help it get better. I'm pretty sure that it could take a while but i just hope that it will get better. I'm only 19 years old and i hope this problem will go away with help and hopefully no more hospital visits.
Pain after back surgery is not uncommon. It is still early in your recovery phase, and your body is still healing. After your surgeon clears you, physical therapy may be beneficial. For the time being, follow your docotrs instructions and give it some time. Certainly if severe pain, new weakness, or new symptoms develop you should contact your surgeon immediately. Good luck.
greg
Initially I felt fine after my microdiscectomy.  Then the pain returned, and took about 4 months to totally resolve again.  Today, almost a year later, I am 99% pain free.  

Give it time.
thank you so much for the comment i feel alot better now
No problem, Greg!

It was very frustrating at first.  But now, with a bit of time having passed, I am so glad I had the surgery.
Be patient; and give your body time to heal.
I just had lumbar microdiscectomy on Sep 2 at the L5-S1.  I felt betterin the hospital but today on day 4-5 of the surgery i am feeling the same pain in the right buttock, leg and foot (nerve strain and numbness - shooting pain).  Any ideas?
well i am seeing the doctor who did the surgery on tuesday so i'll know something then. but from the sound of things its not uncommon for this too happen things should get better though
HI
   I had a Microdiscectomy On L5_S1. ON SEPT. 24,2003.
For The first 3 weeks after the surgery I  did not have any leg pain, but my left foot was still numb.
  Then after 3 weeks I stated to feel munb in the base of my spine ,before the but.
Sometimes the leg feels alittle numb.

What is crazzy is I hear you could cough or smeez and it could heriat again.
A related discussion, post microdiscectomy leg pain was started.
A related discussion, Pain after microdisctomy was started.