Neurology Community
legs, arms, hands, feet falling asleep and painful

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, I posted earlier. I am a 39 year old female and have three boys. I have been having poor circulation problems and pain mostly in my right leg at night. However, it has now progressed to my arms, hands, feet, other leg etc. It is really bad at night, but now bad during the day. One minute it feels like my arm is falling asleep and it hurts, then its the opposite side or my foot. It's really strange. I can be moving or sitting and it's continous now. It is progressively getting worse.
I also have had low iron and  finished iron injections about 6 weeks ago, my iron is fine..but still feeling tired and have head rushes out of the blue while standing. Not sure if this is related.
The circulation problem is very strange, it's actually really sore in parts of my body but no pattern.
Any suggestions.
Lack of potassium may cause muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, mood changes, or nausea and vomiting. I do not know if this could be your problem but I would ask your doctor
I am going to get my x-ray today and also to a walk in to check my blood pressure etc. Today I am having terrible spurts of shortness of breath and tightness in my chest. My husband is coming home at noon so I can go. It's really strange. Thanks for your comment. I will ask them to do some blood work.
Please let me know.
OMG. The doctor told me that I needed long term anxiety medicine. I actually was a bit rude to him and told him I didn't have an anxiety attack and went over the poor circulation problem again. He didn't check my heart rate or blood pressure or ask any questions. He basically wasn't interested in diagnosing me. I guess I wasn't enough of an emergency to be at the Walk In Clinic. I will wait for my x-ray results to go to my doctor and see what she says. I was so mad when I left the clinic. What a waste of time and I felt like telling him off! He wanted to give me a prescription without even checking anything! I guess he would be someone else's dream doctor!
Good news is that the tightness in my chest stopped around noon and just have a bit of poor circulation today. Nothing like yesterday.
Anwyay..just needed to vent! ;) LOL as I think of that guy!
I am not trying to scare you but=A lack of potassium most commonly will cause fatigue or muscle cramps, but a severe potassium deficiency, or hypokalemia, can cause serious problems such irregular heart function, nervous system impairment, and even death.Are you on diuretics or have any kidney problem? If so I would call your doctor NOW. Other things can cause hypokalemia also but they are the two common reason.
My own doctor missed my lack of potassium and I almost died in the ER.
I am so sorry you did not get any answers today.
Did you ask him if it could be hypokalemia?
Diane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypokalemia
You may have to cut and paste but I recommend you read this. Ask yourself if this could explain your symptoms. If so,tell your doctor.
If the tightness in your chest comes back PLEASE call your doctor or call 911.
Sometime if a women is having a heart attack this might be their only symptom until it is to late.
Again I am not trying to scare you but I almost lost my life and I paid over 12,000.00 in med. bills -over something as easy as one pill a day. If I would have known or my doctor caught it I would never have gone though what I went though 2 years ago.
Thank you for the info. I am not on any medication and I am 39 years old. However, my grandfather died of a massive heart attach at 45 and my mothers brother and sister died of the same before the ages of 60. So, I know this runs in my family and I was scared yesterday about this, but thought I AM WAY TOO YOUNG and healthy for this!
I have put a call in to by family doctor for an apt. I will ask what was done for my last blood work. I have had blood work lately done, b/c my iron keeps droping and I have been on med's for Iron and have had to injections b/c the medication was not increasing my iron. We still don't know why my iron drops. I know iron is stored and it seems that about 6 months after my medication/injections it's low again. This has gone on for the last 3 years. I am now awaiting an apt. for a colonoscopy as this also runs in my family history. Fun fun.
As I type this my hand is falling asleep..but it's very very mild now. Last night my right leg hurt while laying down, but much better than before. It's really strange.
Thank you for info. I know to listen to my body and this is not normal so hopefully my doctor can squeeze me in.
I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for all the info.
I was wondering-did you get your blood test results yet?
I am a mother of 4 so I know how hard this must be for you.My heart truly goes out to you. Our 3 girls are grown and out of the house but our 14year old boy is all boy.
Do you take pain meds and if so what do you take?
Diane
My blood work came back fine. My numbness has stopped, still sore on my right leg..but only at night. I have a terrible time sleeping most nights as I can't get comfortable. I also did my x-ray and everything looked fine. Who knows! Perhaps stress/anxiety about returning to work soon and changes happening. Or perhaps I am getting to that magical number where your body starts sending you strong messages to RELAX! ;)
Thank you for your concern. My boys keep my fit, that's for sure! Thank goodness my 11 year old is laid back and so happy all the time. I hope it lasts through the teen years.
:)
To: ko19
I am happy that your blood work came out okay.
I am sorry you have a hard time going to sleep.  If it is pain or the inablity to get comfotable or even stress a small glass of wine works great for me.If you are not on any meds, you may want to try it.I am having a hard time getting to sleep also. I broke my foot and I am on Aleve so I can not have any wine but I wish I could.
Just a suggestion.
My boy is sweet but he has never been laid back. As for  teens -every day they are different.
I hope the best for you.
Diane
My husband tosses and turns all night.  He sleeps on his sides, so when one arm falls asleep, he turns the other way.  This is a normal night for us, (5-6 or more turns a night). Now when he bends down and stays like that for more than 30 seconds, his legs hurt. (He says it is muscular pains)  Don't know what can be causing this. Unfortunately we have no insurance right now, so he has not gone to see a doctor.   Can anyone help?
ask  ur dr about sciatica..its usually caused by a bulging disc in ur back pushing against the sciatic nerve..i have two crushed discs and suffer from this and a bunch of other complications..ive had one surgery with no help now i have to have another but it costs soo much cause i dont have insurance either..im fighting for diasability and workers comp...just thought i would reply to ur question..good luck!