Neurology Expert Forum
lesions in the brain stem

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

lesions in the brain stem

My sister has  been diagonised with illdefined lesions appearing faintly hypointense on T1 and hyperintense on T2 weighted images noted in the right side of the ventral lower pons and medulla, upper ventral pons in the midline and right celebellar white matter adjacent the 4th ventricl; these lesions show illdefined faint areas of enhancement within. As a result she has suffered a stroke on her right side and her right eye vision has been affected, a condition we were told as Latus Rectum. She also suffers from hearing problems.

She has been taking steroids for the last couple of months. What I want to know is if she will recover completely and if this condition has a possibility of recurrence. The doctors here are not talking about any surgery. What is your view of this condition?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Unfortunately I am not aware of a disease by the name "latus rectum". Could it be some other name they gave you?

Such findings on MRI can be found in a number of conditions, including any form of inflammatory condition including demyelinating diseases, other autoimmune disorders, infections, tumors, stroke to name a few. I am not sure if your sisters doctors did a full work-up to reach the current diagnosis. Such tests would include a spinal tap where they run tests on the spinal fluid.  Judging from the fact that your sister is on steroids, they may have thought that this was some form of inflammatory/autoimmune condition. It would be helpful to know the actual name for her diagnosis, for me to comment on prognosis and chances of recurrence.

Thank you for using this forum. We will be happy to answer any further questions.