Neurology Expert Forum
lightheadedness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

lightheadedness

I am 23 years old and have been suffering from ear related problems for about 3-4 years.  My first problem was diagnosed as being labrynthitus, infection of my inner ear canal which was very uncomfortable, the room was spinning and I had no balance.  I was given antibiotics which worked and I was fine for about six months which is when the labrynthitus returned, and then return again six months after that.  Since then I do not seem to have been right.  

About six months ago over the space of a week, I felt extremely lightheaded on the verge of fainting, I felt nausious and had the feeling of intense pressure around my head and ears.  I was told by my doctor that I had a virus and that I should take sudafed and drink steamy drinks, I had a week off work and most syptoms (symptoms) seems to dissapear appart from one.  When I had been crouched down or sat down for a while, when I stood up I had a rush of pressure which took over me almost to the point of fainting, my ears would go numb and would be ringing and I would have to sit back down to let this pass.  I put up with this for about four months thinking it would go away but it did not.  Three weeks ago I went back to the doctors and his said my ears were inflamed, probably from my last cold or virus and prescribed me sudafed.  This did not do anything and three weeks later, this evening, I ended up at casulty at the hopital which extreme lightheadedness, a numb tingley feeling around my eyes, temples and cheeks, light spots in my eyes and a feeling of general pressure in my head.  My eyes feel very strange like they are swollen but wanting to close.  I feel faint when I look down or lye down or move suddenly and bright light seems to be affecting me as well.  This is the first time that my lightheadedness has affected my eyes.

The hospital could not find anything wrong with me after an examination and said my labrynthitus was probably coming back and prescribed my  ...........  I know I don't have labrynthitus as my symptoms are not the same, the room is not spinning and I have not lost my balance.

I am an audio secretary and have a wishbone in my ears all day with dictation, I work on a computer screen, we have strip lights in the office, I am on the pill Cilest and have been on this type of pill for about 2 years.  Could these be possible causes?

I am very concerned that the problem is not going away and syptoms (symptoms) keep reappearing.  I worry that the problem may be more serious.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Karen
Dear Karen:

I am not sure what to tell you.  Sounds like there is a problem with the inner ear.  I am assuming that you do not have an ear infection.  Since you feel lightheaded, this may be a number of things.  It might be an otilth problem or circular canal problem. It might also be the onset of migraine headaches, but without a family history, your age or previous indication of migraine like attacks in the past (cyclic vomiting, headaches, etc) I doubt it is migraine headaches.  It also might be syncope, either neurogenic or cardiogenic.  Forbid it be a mass in the CP angle, but this is always possible (but unlikely at your age). It is almost impossible to tell you over the internet.  I would suggest seeing a neurologist so he/she can do a good exam.  I think it might be an otilth problems and maybe the Epsley procedure might help (a procedure that helps the minute protein particles in the inner ear to be realigned back to normal).

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Last October I had a cold that lasted two days, I developed a ringing mainly in my right ear, and have felt light-headed ever since.  There is no dizziness or spinning, I do not feel like I will pass out or fall over.  My doctor tried antibiotics twice, also told me that it would probably just go away.  I had a sinus x-ray but found nothing, I had an ENG test that found some nystagmus but nothing conclusive, and some hearing loss in the right ear (but within normal limits).  All other ear tests for pressure and neurlogic functioning were normal, no tumor present.  Blood tests were normal.  I had an MRI done and CT scan done, the neurologist and ENT doctor said everything was normal, the MRI indicated possible ethymoid sinusitis but the CT scan showed slight inflamation (inflammation) of the sinuses but nothing significant, possibly getting over sinusitis.  I felt better for a week long period several times in the last 6 months but the "crummy" feeling came back.

The general conclusion was that it was a virus that settled in my ear after a cold and that it would eventually go away.  It's eight months later, and I still feel lightheaded most of the time, it is sometimes difficult to focus and concentrate.  The ENT said he's seen cases where it lasted over a year.  Is this possible?  Is there a treatment for this?  I am a 29 year old male with no health problems.

tell me something about cilest
A related discussion, Desperate for help with ear related dizziness was started.