Neurology Community
like walking on broken glass

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

like walking on broken glass

hi

i have type 2 diabetes and lately the pain in both feet is getting worse. as well as the constant  numbness and tingling in my toes and feet i am now getting the feeling of walking on broken glass or nails- is anyone else having these symptoms and can anyone suggest what can be done about it as my doctor has not heard of this and says i just have to put up with it--best regards
Tags: walking, glass
Well, your doc doesn't know what he's talking about.  Diabetics have a huge problem with that "walking on glass" symptom you're talking about.  I think you need to be seen by a speciaist, and if your doc already is one, you need to find another group that works with nothing but diabetics.  

There are a bunch of treatments for that symptom, aside from watching your sugars and all the stuff you have to do as a diabetic.  There are some nerve drugs, with the generic word "gaba" in the name, I take one with the trade name Lyrica, which helps a whole lot with that very painful and downright disabling problem with your feet hurting like fire and brimstone.
thank you very much for your response to my problem and the information given and i will now take it further-regards
I know what you are feeling,it's called Peripheral neuropathy.  It means that the coating on the nerves of your feet is being destroyed and this causes the nerves to flare in pain.  The numbness is part of all this.  It sounds ridiculous that you have both pain and numbness doesn't it.  I have PN, mine is inherited and not from Diabetes.  It is very common to have Peripheral neuropathy if you are Diabetic,in fact it was a commercial describing the kinds of pain that clued me into my own problem.  If your doctor doesn't know about PN, ask him for a referral to a neurologist or an endocrinologist.  Either one would be able to help you.  I have a GP who is very knowledgeable so you can't ever tell.  If one drug doesn't work there are others.  Good Luck.  I hope that you find a good doctor.  
thank you very much for this information now that i know what it is i'll be making an appointment with my doctor and take this further best regards