Neurology Community
link between toxoplasmosis and fibromyalgia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Has there been a link found between congenital toxoplasmosis and fibromyalgia. I have both. My eyes were affected and I suffer from mood disorders, and a host of other health troubles. I am 44.  And so I need brain scans to see if I have lesions?
Just wondering. Thanks
As far as I know, no. The brain scans would probably be for the detection brain abnormalities that often crop up in fibromyalgia patients (issues with blood flow, gray matter loss--which may be the lesions you speak of, etc.).

I'll do some research to see if the two are related, but I don't think they are. If anything, the fact that you have fibromyalgia probably weakened your immune system and made you susceptible to contracting toxoplasmosis.

Feel better soon!
Thanks for the post. Since I was born with the toxo and diagnosed with fibro at the age of 40. I was thinking that that the fribro might be a symptom of the toxo. I think your idea has merit. Thanks for looking into it.  Keep me posted. God Bless.
i have toxoplasmosis and fibromyalgia as well, i recently found that immunocompromised people may suffer from lesions in their thalamus or cerebellum in the brain due to the toxoplasmosis. i wonder myself whether that could cause some of the symptoms of fibromyalgia. do you have any trouble with balance at all? im interested to know because i have terrible balance and its getting progressively worse and i know that the cerebellum is in control of balance. im quite interested to find out.
I was diagnosed with toxo and fibro as well. Once my doctor cleared the toxo the fibro went away. I am happy to say that I have been pain free for 6 years.
I too have both, but I only tested positive for iGg antibody, not the iGm so my doc said i have been exposed to the parasite, but i dont have the infection.  Is that true?  Not from what I have researched.

Do you have acute or chronic toxoplasmosis?  how did you get rid of it?

p.s. Exercise is amazing for fibromyalgia.  I know it sounds like the last thing you want to do, but it has worked wonders for my pain & fatigue...it is a good motivator when the only good days you have are gym days.
Approximately 15 years ago I was diagnosed with a regenerated toxoplasmotic scar in my left eye.  I had laser surgery to stop the spread of the regenerated tissue.  I was diagnosed with fibro 4 years ago.  I have noted that others have mentioned balance issues.  I am very unbalanced, constantly exhausted, and in a depressed fog.  I would dearly love to know which medical speciality would/could help me.  As I read simular issues (listed above), I feel some small ray of hope.  ***@****
I also had eye surgery and the infection spread over the laser dam they tried at my six week check up ! i have severe pain and diagnosed with fibro. i live with constant pain.  The doctors seem to be clueless and brush me off as imagining the pain. I constantly run a low grade fever and occasionally it jumps to over 101 degrees for days leaving me weak and feeling sickly. i wish i could find a doctor who would understand and help with my pain . i have been sickly my whole life and was not diagnosis till my late twenties. since than been on bactrim at least 5 times. do you have any info that may help