Neurology Expert Forum
lip twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

lip twitching

I am 44 years old, since I was appoxiamtely 30 I have had twitches, i have been to a few neurologists, (since my father had MS) I was concerned I also had a neurological disease. they diagnosed me with benign fascilliations. I still twitch in my legs, eyelids,arms, however for the first time the other day the left side on my lower lip was twitching, there was no other weakness of symtoms (symptoms) except for the lower lip twitch. This has never happened before and it lasted the morning on and off for a few hours, that was 2 days ago, does it just sound like another part of my body twitching or more serious?
Dear Lis:

Sorry that you have had such long lasting fasciculations.  As you are aware, these muscle twitches come and go.  They seem to get worse during times of fatigue, stress, illness, etc.  They can occur in almost any muscle group.  It is most likely that your lip twitching is just a part of the fasciculations that you are prone to have.  Sometimes, if you have Herpes and are effected in the lip area, twitching can be a signal of an outbreak.  But, I would think that the former is the most likely situation.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I did have a herpe outbreak on my lip the morning of your answer, though i would not have equated the two together,
thankyou for such a quick answer
An investigative question:  did the fasciculations begin around the same time you contracted the oral herpes?  Have you ever thought that maybe the fasciculations all over are being caused by the herpes virus?
i haven't looked at the forum for a while, in response to the
fasciculations  they began about 20 years after my diagnosis of herpes, they began when I was 12, so I guess the two can't be linked.
A related discussion, Lower lip twitching was started.